R.I.P. BJ Thomas

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Djalma Junior

R.I.P. BJ Thomas

Post by Djalma Junior »

The music is in mourning.
BJ Thomas died today at the age of 78, victim of cancer.
Very sad, too sad.
No words on...

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/ne ... s-dies-78/
Bruce Bernard Williams

Re: R.I.P. BJ Thomas

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

I too am deeply saddened by B. J.'s passing. I kept up with his career through the years. I've seen him in concert several times and was astounded by his performances—the way he would sometimes change the harmonics of a certain key, his phrasing, and his timing were all stellar! I never met him but saw his picture hanging on the wall of Scepter Records (10th Flr.) when I visited the studio along with a friend back in 1966. His music will live in my heart forever. My condolences to his family, friends, and fans.
Marcel

Post by Marcel »

A said day. B.J. Has left this world. A great voice he had. And his biggest hit "Raindrpos Keep Fallin` On My Had" Written by Burt And Hal, will live forever and also his other great numbers of B.J. Billy Joe Thomas Rest In Peace, and thank you for your wonderful voice and songs!

Marcel
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Although Thomas had charted throughout the `60s, his albums never really took off. I thought that might change with his `72 release, Billy Joe Thomas. It included songs written and accompanied by the likes of Jimmy Webb, Mann & Weill et. al. It`s still a "hidden gem" by an under-appreciated talent.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Farewell B.J.
R.I.P.

"blue"
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

One of my favorites, out of so many, "Beautiful Things For You":

ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

..... I believe that BJ was flattered by those who praised his ability to adeptly handle the complexities of Bacharach's Music. ... I vaguely recall a quote stating that he did not wish to become the "Male" version of Dionne Warwick at Scepter Records. ... He had other career goals! ... R.I.P.

Ron
pljms

Post by pljms »

He was a class act with a unique voice. Love all the Bacharach tracks he cut and I'll never tire of hearing them, but probably my favourite BJ Thomas recording is this exceptional interpretation of a great and much covered song by Jimmy Webb.
Paul
Hank

Post by Hank »

Another gem: