Two New Rarity Collections, Cont`d

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

Two New Rarity Collections, Cont`d

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Sorry, I lost the Edit Function.
...and I needn`t tell pop fans how great this will be:
https://shop.realgonemusic.com/products ... s-62-72-cd
This includes a Bacharach song I`ve never heard of, "A Question of Love." There`s some dispute as to whether Bob Hilliard or Hal wrote the lyric.
pljms

Re: Two New Rarity Collections, Cont`d

Post by pljms »

According to Serene Dominic's book Song By Song, 'Question Of Love' is a Bacharach and Hilliard collaboration and was written between 1960 and 1963. I like just about every song Bacharach wrote with Bob Hilliard and I look forward to eventually hearing this rarity.
Paul
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Hi all, I wrote the liner notes for the upcoming Andy Williams release, and I can confirm that Bob Hilliard is the lyricist of "A Question of Love." I'm looking forward to everybody here enjoying this "new" Bacharach treasure as well as Andy's previously unreleased studio recording of "This Guy's in Love with You."
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Here at last is the aforementioned 'A Question Of Love':
pljms

Post by pljms »

Martin Johnson wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:31 pm Here at last is the aforementioned 'A Question Of Love':
It's a strange one and I can't help feeling that if Bacharach had written the arrangement and also produced the record it would have sounded a lot less melodramatic. The melody at the beginning which repeats at the end reminded me of a song written by Leslie Bricusse several years later for the 1969 film musical 'Goodbye, Mr. Chips'.
Paul
Peter Greenhill

Post by Peter Greenhill »

The Andy Williams version of 'A Question Of Love', to me, feels over orchestrated.Song seems bogged down by too much orchestration. Would be better with a simpler arrangement, maybe even just a piano backing.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Your youth is showing.
I agree that it sounds egregiously overdone now, but it was very much consonant with the arranging style(s) of its time.