Kritzerland to release London cast recording of Promises, Promises

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin

Kritzerland to release London cast recording of Promises, Promises

Post by mark »

Just got an email from Kritzerland about its pre-release of the London cast recording of Promises, Promises, featuring Tony Roberts and Betty Buckley. Click the link for more info, but do it fast. It's a limited run of just 300 CDs.

http://kritzerland.com/promisesUK.htm?f ... aHEr4y6U_w

Here's a little preview uploaded from the long out of print LP.

Blair N. Cummings

Re: Kritzerland to release London cast recording of Promises, Promises

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I was blissfully unaware of this. I can understand completists` enthusiasm but...a London cast consisting of a couple of B-List Americans in the lead? I suppose it`s better than the New York revival of a few years back featuring Kristen Chenowyth spectacularly miscast in her latter forties as an early-twenties Fran. But then, I always adored Jill O`Hara and would cheerfully have listened to her sing the entire score.
I`ll pass, leaving one more copy for everyone else to scramble for.
(I know; leave it to me to be the cockroach in the pasta bowl...)
dustybulletin

Post by dustybulletin »

It's odd that Kritzerland should claim this to be the first release of the Original London Cast Recording as they issued a limited edition of 1000 in 2010 (KR 20016-3) with what appear to be the same liner notes by Bruce Kimmel. I don't see a catalogue number for the 2020 release. Maybe they mean the first release in this decade???
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

dustybulletin wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:04 pm It's odd that Kritzerland should claim this to be the first release of the Original London Cast Recording as they issued a limited edition of 1000 in 2010 (KR 20016-3) with what appear to be the same liner notes by Bruce Kimmel. I don't see a catalogue number for the 2020 release. Maybe they mean the first release in this decade???
You're right. I re-read the email from Kritzerland and it clearly states that this is an ENCORE release, a re-issue of the out-of-print CD from 2010. The link above appears to feature the original text from the 2010 page, but at the bottom it mentions it's an encore release and notes the smaller print run. I vaguely recall Kritzerland releasing it around the same time as its deluxe two-disc version of the Broadway Promises, Promises, which I purchased, but I didn't pick up the London cast CD.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I just found this photo of Jill O`Hara with Tony Roberts (and struggled for an absurdly long time to find a way to copy it and paste it here):
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ji ... ORM=IMSFRD
(Yes, it took all that code)!
Did Jill at some time replace Betty Buckley in London?
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

The Lady in Concert...

'blue'