Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Post by geoff85 »

Chiffons upon the bridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rCIinDf9XA

This number is complete with the typical bossa nova rythim and horn adornment just like ole Burt loves.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Chiffons one fine day has a similar rythm section to Jay and the Americans Look in my eyes Maria which has a super composer collabo of Bacharach/David and Lieber/Stoller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvyOqKhKWQ4 Chiffons- One Fine Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmt2p-VqWpg Jay and the Americans- Look in my eyes Maria
Last edited by geoff85 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5nIgUdWQug Chuck Jackson- Keep forgettin. 140 onwards very Bacharachish it sounds like Dionne on background vocals. I truly believe Burt had a hand in this and just wasn't credited.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

I wouldnt be suprised if this song wasn't posted already but it would be great if this site could keep Bacharach's legacy alive long after he is gone and show the influence he had on his contemporaries and those that follow after him. Another gem penned by the great Jimmy Webb who we all know was greatly influenced by Bacharach and has admitted as much. Here is the obscure BJ THOMAS song if you must leave my life. The first 30 seconds is very Bacharachesque to me and 136 me think of the Lost Horizons soundtrack(maybe the background singing style)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI5yIyU7jh4
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Get ready for some convolution this is a gamble/huff song that sounds like a thom bell song that sounds like a Bacharach song sung by a singer who worked with Bacharach Dusty Springfield. Heres her rendition of Free Girl written by Linda Creed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4PqqMgsI5Y
Hank

Post by Hank »

Somehow when I first downloaded Come To My Garden, I didn't get this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LF0BwDsO8
...so a very pleasant surprise to find it when playing via Spotify recently.
There is some echo of Promises, Promises here...The entire album is full of fantastic sonic moments that remind me of Burt.
....And Minnie's amazing voice.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

More than a little "Bacharachian"....

'blue'
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I don`t know, blue. Until the chorus, it strikes me as sounding like an unused theme for a James Bond movie.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Blair N. Cummings wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:09 am I don`t know, blue. Until the chorus, it strikes me as sounding like an unused theme for a James Bond movie.
Yes, it's a mixture of Bacharach and John Barry.

'blue'
pljms

Post by pljms »

Blue, Les Reed once said something to the effect that many composers in the mid-60s had a pop at trying to write like Bacharach and that must have included Bob Gaudio judging by that song, although as you stated there's a lot of John Barry in there as well in the song's verses. Either way it's nicely produced, arranged and sung and a really interesting find.

Here's a Les Reed composed song from 1965 which is a good example of what he was talking about. Both Cleo Laine's and Doc Severinsen's versions have featured before in this thread but here's the original recording of the song which Les Reed also arranged, produced and played the piano, including the jazzy solo.
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

pljms wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:27 am Blue, Les Reed once said something to the effect that many composers in the mid-60s had a pop at trying to write like Bacharach and that must included Bob Gaudio judging by that song, although as you stated there's a lot of John Barry in there as well in the song's verses. Either way it's nicely produced, arranged and sung and a really interesting find.

Here's a Les Reed composed song from 1965 which is a good example of what he was talking about. Both Cleo Laine's and Doc Severinsen's versions have featured before in this thread but here's the original recording of the song which Les Reed also arranged, produced and played the piano, including the jazzy solo.
Paul,
I've never heard the "original" version before, it makes you long for the sixties !
Thank you for posting it.

'blue'
pljms

Post by pljms »

Blue, as you probably know there's a link between Les Reed and John Barry and it was that the former was the pianist in the latter's group for a few years in the late 50s/early 60s. Here is the John Barry Seven in 1960 on Sunday Night at the London Palladium performing their hit single 'Hit And Miss', featuring Reed playing the pizzicato strings part on the piano and Barry on the trumpet (sort of). The guitarist is Vic Flick who played the famous guitar part for the James Bond Theme.
Paul
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

A demo by roger nichols "tomboy"

One thing I can say us Bacharach meter changes are more smooth and seamless. When others imitate it its feels like "look mom see I can do a Bacharach meter change too",
Last edited by geoff85 on Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Another Roger Nichols classic. This is no coincidence if they had some hal david lyrics i would be fooled.

Bacharach meets Pet Sounds meets Chicago
pljms

Post by pljms »

As Tony Hatch was sometimes referred to as 'Britain's Burt Bacharach' during the 60s I suppose it was inevitable that after he formed a successful songwriting partnership with singer Jackie Trent that they would occasionally be mentioned in the same breath as Bacharach and David. They wrote several big hits together between '65 and '68, mostly for Petula Clark, and I was surprised to discover given the amount of airplay it received in the UK that this duet recording of theirs wasn't one of them. I love the way Jackie Trent belts out the bridge to this country influenced song.
Paul