JW - Slipcover

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

JW - Slipcover

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

If you have absolutely nothing else to do, you can listen to this on Spotify.
My response is as I suspected it would be: Why? Just, why?
blueonblue

Re: JW - Slipcover

Post by blueonblue »

Where are the vocals ?

'blue'
pljms

Post by pljms »

blueonblue wrote:Where are the vocals ?

'blue'
blue, it's an album of solo piano renditions. He said in an interview that these were some of his favourite tunes to play alone at the piano.
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

pljms wrote:

'blue'
blue, it's an album of solo piano renditions.
Silly me, my mistake. :oops:

'blue'
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

blueonblue wrote:
pljms wrote:

'blue'
blue, it's an album of solo piano renditions.
Apologies, my mistake. :oops:

'blue'
pljms

Post by pljms »

I've had a quick listen to several of the tracks on YouTube and my personal favourite so far is the only Webb song on the album, The Moon's A Harsh Mistress. I think he really does justice to this tune, both melodically and harmonically.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dT6PjQuEL ... qc&index=9
Paul
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Where are the vocals ?

and
Why is he playing everyone else's tunes
Blair N. Cummings

JW announced over a year ago that he was going to make solo piano albums. In the works are those featuring Irish folk songs and Baptist hymns.
Just who he expects to be interested in these projects is beyond my comprehension.
He has also stated that he plans to release an album of "the best songs I`ve ever written" at some indefinite time.
Those of us who have closely followed his career will recall that he has been making this claim rather regularly over the past three decades.
He submitted two of these works to his former label. They were (allegedly) rejected.
No one has more respect for the man`s talent than I do. But time and coke did fatal damage.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Webb has just commented on the album on his Twitter page. The line, "These rock star composers are the Gershwins of our time", might raise the odd eyebrow or two!

https://mobile.twitter.com/realjimmyweb ... gr%5Etweet
Blair N. Cummings

I think JW may once again be raising the odd glass or two. Surely, he knows (or once knew) better than to equate the Gershwins, Kern, Porter, Rogers and Hart et. al. with the minor talents of those represented on this instantly disposable album.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Martin Johnson wrote:Webb has just commented on the album on his Twitter page. The line, "These rock star composers are the Gershwins of our time", might raise the odd eyebrow or two!

https://mobile.twitter.com/realjimmyweb ... gr%5Etweet
I thinks it's a ludicrous statement to have made. I remember Bacharach stating in his autobiography that he always felt embarrassed whenever he was compared to Gershwin although in my opinion he's the only composer of the last sixty years who deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Gershwin and those other legendary architects of the Great American Songbook, Kern, Berlin, Porter and Rodgers.
pljms

Post by pljms »

Yes, I think Webb got a bit carried away there in his excitement at the release of his new album with that remark about Gershwin. However, I think the publishers of a soon to be released book about Wichita Lineman by British music journalist and biographer Dylan Jones will be more than a bit disappointed by Webb's determinedly downbeat summing up of the song: "It's just another song. I've written a thousand of them and it's really just another one". Here are the details from Amazon UK of the book due out in early August.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wichita-Linema ... way&sr=8-5
Paul
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Whenever I hear Jimmy Webb himself performing Wichita Lineman or any one of the dozens of cover versions it really can sound like "just another song" and it was Glen Campbell and his producer/arranger Al De Lory on the original recording who supplied the magic and have given the song its lasting appeal.
pljms

Post by pljms »

Martin Johnson wrote:Whenever I hear Jimmy Webb himself performing Wichita Lineman or any one of the dozens of cover versions it really can sound like "just another song" and it was Glen Campbell and his producer/arranger Al De Lory on the original recording who supplied the magic and have given the song its lasting appeal.
While undeniably true I still think Wichita Lineman is a unique song, not least for the fact that the first half of the verses are in F major while the second half are in D major with the character of the words changing accordingly from observations concerning the lineman's job to those of a more romantic nature. Placing the B flat major 7th chord at the start of each verse on the words "county" and "vacation" when our musical ear is expecting an F major is another master stroke.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8P_xTBpAcY
Paul
Blair N. Cummings

True enough, but I don`t think the song merits a 288 page book. The Webb/Campbell story is wearyingly well-known and I don`t think we need the author`s fantasia on the narrative of the lyric. I`ll pass.