Bacharach in the UK Summer 2019

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

pljms

Bacharach in the UK Summer 2019

Post by pljms »

The news that Bacharach is headlining The Mostly Jazz, Funk and Soul Festival in Birmingham on July 14th suggests that he'll be touring the UK again next summer with more dates to be confirmed. After the reception he received in Berlin back in July and the promise he gave to return, perhaps he's planning a longer European tour.
Paul
blueonblue

Re: Bacharach in the UK Summer 2019

Post by blueonblue »

pljms wrote:The news that Bacharach is headlining The Mostly Jazz, Funk and Soul Festival in Birmingham on July 14th suggests that he'll be touring the UK again next summer with more dates to be confirmed. After the reception he received in Berlin back in July and the promise he gave to return, perhaps he's planning a longer European tour.
The man's incredible....where does he find the energy ?

'blue'
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

My sources say Burt doesn't like the heat of LA in July and prefers the more temperate UK, hence his annual visits for the past few years.
pljms

Post by pljms »

nowmedical wrote:My sources say Burt doesn't like the heat of LA in July and prefers the more temperate UK, hence his annual visits for the past few years.
Except that it hasn't been too temperate in July these past few summers, especially this year when we were actually hotter than LA at the time of his two concerts in London. Still, he wasn't complaining too much given the now traditional highly enthusiastic reception he received from the London audiences.
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

pljms wrote:
nowmedical wrote:My sources say Burt doesn't like the heat of LA in July and prefers the more temperate UK, hence his annual visits for the past few years.
Except that it hasn't been too temperate in July these past few summers, especially last year when we were actually hotter than LA at the time of his two concerts in London. Still, he wasn't complaining too much given the now traditional highly enthusiastic reception he received from the London audiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHiK0Rf1hFQ

'blue'
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Hahaha great selection blue!
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

nowmedical wrote:Hahaha great selection blue!
Followed by a period of "precipitation".......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3YqJ-WvFzo

'blue'
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

This meteorological theme could run and run...
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

So, those of you who know me will find this... amusing.
My sister in law, who lives near Birmingham UK is an assistant head teacher at a special school: just a while ago, her boss came to her and excitedly said: "Guess who is going to be in Moseley Park on July 14???"

"Burt Bacharach" said my S-I-L.... "We have tickets"....

"How did you do that..." said her boss....

Well actually... then she explained....

So for those Americans who wonder why Burt spends so much time in the UK, it's because Burt and Hal were as big as Lennon and McCartney at about the same time. British groups often talked about making it big in terms of "Conquering America". Burt and Hal also " Conquered Europe." To very many of us, Burt represents the epitome of cool sophisticated music.

Regards, David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
pljms

Post by pljms »

You're dead right, David, regarding Bacharach and David's celebrity as songwriters in the UK during the 60s. I recall that almost every time one of their songs was played on the radio, whether it was the BBC or one of the pirate stations, the DJ would drop their names or at least Bacharach's. Of course their style was so unique we didn't need telling who the writers were most of the time but I can remember being surprised more than once or twice, none more so than with this Top 20 hit from '69.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4KkN2BseLLg
Paul