London Jazz Musicians 'Explore' Bacharach

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

pljms

London Jazz Musicians 'Explore' Bacharach

Post by pljms »

On Friday March 02nd a quartet of top-notch, London based jazz musicians co-lead by tenor saxophonist Tim Whitehead and drummer Gary Willcox are playing a gig 'exploring' the music of Burt Bacharach at the Polish Jazz Cafe Posk in Hammersmith, SW London. The venue is a two minute walk from Ravenscourt Park Tube Station on the District Line.

http://www.jazzcafeposk.org/event/bacharach2mar18/
Paul
Martin Johnson

Re: London Jazz Musicians 'Explore' Bacharach

Post by Martin Johnson »

I've seen all four musicians play in many different bands but never with each other. As for the venue, I've been just the once and it has the two most important prerequisites for a jazz club and that is it's within staggering distance of a tube station and that there's a bar in the music room. At least one of the musicians has form when it comes to Bacharach and that's pianist Jonathan Gee who used to feature 'Alfie' in his trio's live set.
pljms

Re: London Jazz Musicians 'Explore' Bacharach

Post by pljms »

Totally agree with the prerequisites for London jazz clubs/rooms, Martin, particularly regarding having a bar. Of course, it's one thing having a bar, it's quite another actually having it open and for instance the last few times I've been to the Bull's Head in Barnes the bar remained resolutely closed throughout the gig, meaning that anyone wanting another drink during the music had to traipse through to the main bar of the pub. When I asked the landlord about this he just spouted out the expected BS about staff shortages.

Returning to the gig at the Polish Jazz Cafe on March 02nd, it will be interesting to hear what they play other than 'Alfie', 'A House is Not a Home' and 'Wives and Lovers', the jazz musicians' favourites.
Paul