Smaller venues ilke the Blue Note

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

Smaller venues ilke the Blue Note

Post by nowmedical »

Noticing Burt is performing at what looks like a somewhat smaller venue in Hawaii, what suggestions do we have for the optimum similar venue for his next UK gigs?
Ronnie Scotts is too small, Cadogan Hall too large, I think the Jazz Cafe Camden would be ideal. Just enough room on stage for his core band I reckon.

PS maybe the smaller venue choice reflects his recent concert in Las Vegas which I was lucky enough to attend - usual superb concert, but noticeably only half-full in some areas of the seating.
Martin Johnson

Re: Smaller venues ilke the Blue Note

Post by Martin Johnson »

As long as BB can still sell-out venues like the Royal Festival Hall and the London Palladium which he did on his last UK tour he won't need to play smaller venues. Besides, I doubt if they could afford him.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Martin Johnson wrote:As long as BB can still sell-out venues like the Royal Festival Hall and the London Palladium which he did on his last UK tour he won't need to play smaller venues. Besides, I doubt if they could afford him.
And long may he do so.

'blue'
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

I think the Seattle gig was very personally rewarding for all the musicians concerned and would not be at all surprised to see a repeat
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Someone has to say this: There is no-one on earth who hasn`t seen/heard Bacharach live by now if they ever wanted to do so.
I would like him to stop the seemingly eternal greatest hits touring and return to L. A. to supervise the release of whatever quality music has been stashed in "the vault". There remain the New York Animals songs, the second tranche of collabs with Declas McLise, and who knows what else.
He`s nearly ninety. He should consider wrapping up his legacy, not playing "What the World Needs Now" again.
someonenameddavid

Maybe for him music is about communicating with the audience
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

I should imagine that at this stage of his career the need to perform in front of an audience with all the adulation that goes with it is as great as his urge to create. If he plans to celebrate his 90th birthday next year with a series of concerts then his best bet is to come to London where he knows he'll be virtually guaranteed full houses and rapturous receptions, not to mention the inevitable big media interest.
someonenameddavid

So at the last show at the (wall to wall packed sold out, we cant fit anymore in because the Fire Marshal will shut us down) Blue Note, Bill Cantos and the band whipped out ukeleles and they had a singalong "Raindrops"... Probably wouldnt have worked in a big venue....
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Image-1.jpg
Image-1.jpg (171.23 KiB) Viewed 10004 times
Here they are!