Burt and Tonio K. Original Demos CD Track Listing

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

Re: Burt and Tonio K. Original Demos CD Track Listing

Post by blueonblue »

Interesting CD.......I like John Pagano's vocal on 'What Love Can Do'
Thanks for posting.

'blue'
pljms

Post by pljms »

I remember, blue, when Brian Wilson's version of 'What Love Can Do' was discussed here about ten years ago the general consensus was that it would take a musicologist with the detective skills of Sherlock Holmes to pinpoint what Bacharach's input to the song's composition might have actually been. Maybe John Pagano's demo will give us some more clues, although listening to the small excerpt that's unlikely to be the case.
Paul
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Thanks aspprod for sharing the track list and what a list! I assume that Bill Champlin will be the one on "if I Should Lose You" since it appeared on Chicago XXVI. I have Deedle's {Diane Schurr} version of “Never Make That Same Mistake Again" and Randy Crawford's version of “Tell It To Your Heart”—both sterling performances. I remember about ten years ago, there was a collection of artists on a CD that included John Pagano's song that was mentioned along with a beautiful version of “Alfie” by Peabo Bryson. Another favorite of mine is “Count On Me” by Ron Isley. Am going to Starship's here in Tulsa tomorrow and place my order!
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Correction: Deedles' song title is “Never Take That Chance Again”, not “Never Make That Mistake Again”—sorry.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

pljms wrote:I remember, blue, when Brian Wilson's version of 'What Love Can Do' was discussed here about ten years ago the general consensus was that it would take a musicologist with the detective skills of Sherlock Holmes to pinpoint what Bacharach's input to the song's composition might have actually been. Maybe John Pagano's demo will give us some more clues, although listening to the small excerpt that's unlikely to be the case.
pljms, you're absolutely right, it's more 'Beach Boys' than Bacharach.
Ten years ago ??? blimey time flies !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8A_J4KSvRg

'blue'
David_Noble

Post by David_Noble »

My copy arrived today (by post to Australia). One listen so far - its a nice CD.

Dave
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

When you consider that there's virtually no precedent for the truly great songwriters producing anything of note once they're past their mid-60s, including the likes of Cole Porter, Richard Rodgers and Irving Berlin, then it puts this collection of song demos from the nineties and noughties into some sort of perspective and I think we should be grateful for what Bacharach has composed while in his 70s and 80s, despite how humdrum some of it may sound to our ears.
bminnick

Post by bminnick »

Write-up about the CD published this morning by theseconddisc.com:

Bacharach and Wilson co-wrote “What Love Can Do” for Brian to sing on the 2007 Target-exclusive CD New Music from an Old Friend. This bright, bouncy tune married Brian’s verse to Burt’s chorus, complemented by Brian’s background countermelodies, resulting in a truly delectable pop nugget that deserved a greater audience.

https://theseconddisc.com/2017/05/what- ... plin-more/
Marcel

Post by Marcel »

I would like to order the cd.........but it`s not accepting my credit card! Only with PayPal, which i don`t have. So i am not able to order this cd then....pitty!

Kind regards,

Marcel :oops: