"Saturday Sunshine"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

"Saturday Sunshine"

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I think I may have asked this before, but does anyone know who the girl was who sang the lead vocal? It was rumored to have been Jay "Dennis the Menace" North but it was not. BtoB, any inside info on this? Anyone? It would just be interesting to know if she had a later musical career.
zylon1

Re: "Saturday Sunshine"

Post by zylon1 »

Blair N. Cummings, how do you know that it was not Jay North who sang "Saturday Sunshine"?
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Well, Jay North couldn`t sing. If you listen closely, it`s plainly a pre-pubescent girl performing the song. The record raised some eyebrows because,as I`ve pointed out before, this child is singing what is really just a fuck song.
I received confirmation of the false Jay North rumor from a source I`ve long since forgotten.
zylon1

Post by zylon1 »

I agree that Jay North could not sing well in 1959 when he made his album. However, Saturday Sunshine is four years later, and at his age (from 8 to 12), that could make a lot of difference. I also agree that the singer is pre pubescent, however, Jay North was still pre pubescent in 1963. Also, I do not know any giveaway in the voice showing that it is female rather than male. How can you tell the gender of the voice?
But one thing I do notice is that Jay North did sing with an accent in his 1959 album which is missing in Saturday Sunshine. But other than that, it does sound like his voice at age 12. It would be nice if you could remember the source which says definitely that it was not Jay North.

The record did not raise any eyebrows in 1963 because the word "love" had a different meaning then. In fact, the reason it was not a hit was because it was too innocent, sweet, and nice for the teenagers of the time. It was a song of unrealisticly pure optimism.