To Webmaster Mark.

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Djalma Junior

To Webmaster Mark.

Post by Djalma Junior »

Dear Mark,

Daily this forum has been suffering from postings of futile advertisements, all unrelated to Burt Bacharach.
Do you think it would be too complicated to deploy the "I'm not a robot" filter on the forum?

We couldn't help you with some contribution, such as Paypal or similar, if that is necessary?

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Best regards,
Djalma Jr
mark
Site Admin

Re: To Webmaster Mark.

Post by mark »

Hey Djalma,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I've been researching anti-spambot measures in phpBB and unless I'm missing something, none seem to be 100 percent effective. I haven't found an easy plug in like the ones you see asking you to select all the pictures that have storefronts or all the pictures that have water in them. The most effective anti-spam measure is the one that's currently installed, where users have to answer a question to register. I feel a little ambivalent about that because even though most people who are fans can answer the questions, I don't like the idea of locking anyone out because they don't know who Burt's primary lyricist was or who sang most of his hit songs. At the same time, spambots are notoriously good at figuring out the answers to questions. I'm not sure if they Google the answers, but they seem to crack the questions eventually. I just changed the questions so it'll be interesting to see how long it takes the spambots to figure the new ones out.

If any users want to be made moderators, which would give you the ability to delete spam if you see it, send me a PM and I'll figure out how to do that.

Sorry about the spam!

Mark
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Dear Mark,

Please excuse me for the delay in answering you.
I have understood the arguments you have set forth and all are absolutely correct.
I don't know if currently members of this forum are already moderators to delete posts that contain spam.
But right now I intend to help you as moderator to remove the spam posts and for this I ask you, when I can, to guide me about the procedures.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Best regards,
Djalma Jr
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Hi Djalma,

Happy New Year to you as well, my friend!

I just made you a forum moderator. If you see any spam posts, you can click on them and you'll see some new options at the top of the screen. One of them is a tiny X. By clicking the X, you can delete the spam post. If you do delete anything, please make sure it's spam.

Any forum regulars who would like to be made moderators, let me know and I'll change your permissions.
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Hi mark!

Ok I got it!

When a post that contains spam appears, I select the "x" and click to remove it.

Thank you very much, any questions I speak with you.

Greetings,
Djalma Jr
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Thank you, Djalma, for doing this. It'll make this site a hell of lot better.
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

An Enormous BB Fan wrote:Thank you, Djalma, for doing this. It'll make this site a hell of lot better.
Dear BB Fan,

I hope now this forum is like Shangri-La in the center of Lost Horizon! :wink:

greetings
Djalma Jr