Update on Rumer - This Girl's in Love: A Bacharach & David Songbook

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

pljms

Re: Update on Rumer - This Girl's in Love: A Bacharach & David Songbook

Post by pljms »

One of the songs mentioned in the early publicity that seems to have fallen by the wayside is ‘To Wait for Love’, which is a bit of a shame because I think it would have suited her down to the ground. Maybe it will eventually appear as a bonus track on a reissue or as a single B-side. I suppose in a world where text is often abbreviated to within an inch of its life we shouldn’t be too surprised that according to the track list for the album ‘In the Land of Make Believe’ has become ‘Land of Make Believe’ and ‘The Balance of Nature’ appears to have lost its definite article. What that lovely song has done to deserve that fate while ‘The Look of Love’ and ‘The Last One to be Loved’ remain unscathed will I’m sure forever be a mystery.
Paul
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

pljms wrote:One of the songs mentioned in the early publicity that seems to have fallen by the wayside is ‘To Wait for Love’, which is a bit of a shame because I think it would have suited her down to the ground. Maybe it will eventually appear as a bonus track on a reissue or as a single B-side. I suppose in a world where text is often abbreviated to within an inch of its life we shouldn’t be too surprised that according to the track list for the album ‘In the Land of Make Believe’ has become ‘Land of Make Believe’ and ‘The Balance of Nature’ appears to have lost its definite article. What that lovely song has done to deserve that fate while ‘The Look of Love’ and ‘The Last One to be Loved’ remain unscathed will I’m sure forever be a mystery.
I hate that!! I know that it may be a nit to most, but to me it shows such sloppiness and disrespect to the songwriters. "Wait For Love" is NOT the name of the song, sorry. And neither is "Land of Make Believe," which gives the song a whole different meaning. On one of Aretha's albums, "The April Fools" became "April Fools"!! The song is not about playing a trick on someone and then screaming "April Fools!" What kind of professional are you if you can't get the name of the song right?! I can see it now -- someone will sing "You'll Never Walk Alone," and on the album they'll have "Never Walk Alone" as the title.
An Enormous BB Fan

Martin Johnson wrote:Here's a more reliable link to Rumer's Close to You. Yes, she nails it alright:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LxwoK5pYM48
Love it! So pure! What a great melody and she showcases it so beautifully. I do miss the "Waaaa, ah ah ah ah, close to you" part, however. Also, it would have been nice to have used the ending that Burt wrote for his album version. But I still give this an A+.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Yes, with all those Karen Carpenter comparisons it was inevitable that ‘Close to You’ was going to be perfect for Rumer. With her pure tone and lack of vocal histrionics what I’m expecting from this album is twelve songs with the melody sung as written and with very little if anything in the way of grace notes. No wonder Bacharach loves her.
pljms

Post by pljms »

Just heard that apart from 'To Wait For Love' three more additional tracks were recorded and will be released as singles and b-sides with 'Anyone Who Had A Heart' being added to the Japanese version of the album. Apparently all four tracks will eventually be included in volume 2 of 'B-Sides and Rarities'. The other two songs are 'The Windows Of The World' and 'Wives and Lovers'. Information taken from this link:
http://theseconddisc.com/2016/08/01/don ... ach-david/
Last edited by pljms on Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
An Enormous BB Fan

She would be brilliant singing "My Thief" (from PFM). It's a melody made for her voice and style.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

I'm pleased that Rumer is emphasising that her album is as much a tribute to Hal David as it is to Burt Bacharach because it seems that it is his lot to be forever under appreciated as a lyricist. I suppose it was inevitable given just how extraordinarily unique and original Bacharach's skills were as a composer and arranger during their time together as a writing duo that Hal David's role in their partnership has often been overlooked or at best taken for granted with more than one scribe over the years describing his lyrics as 'made to measure' as if their sole purpose was merely to serve Bacharach's melodies. However, although he might have lacked the wit and sophistication of a Cole Porter or a Lorenz Hart, I don't think there's ever been a lyricist better at expressing the fundamental human need to give and receive love and that is why when attached to Bacharach's sublime music his words will continue to touch hearts for generations to come.

'You'll Never Get To Heaven' is one hit song Bacharach never seems to include in his concerts in any shape or form but it's always been a favourite of mine and I'm looking forward to hearing Rumer's version on her album. Although the Stylistics had a hit with it, It's rare to hear a major male singer tackle this essentially feminine song, especially one with the rich baritone voice of this Nashville born and raised singer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLBU3_EXNw
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

In the meantime, here's Rumer and Rory More, who bill themselves as Stereo Venus, with "Mondo Blu".
(BTW, the cd's a treat for those who like their music with a touch of Brazil.)

https://youtu.be/fbRbZ0DCZ2Q
Nicko

Post by Nicko »

Rumers take of 'Balance of Nature'

http://smarturl.it/BalanceOfNature
pljms

Post by pljms »

It's curious how her recording of 'The Balance of Nature' seems to owe more to the Carpenters than her version of 'Close to You'. Either way, both tracks are tip-top and they auger well for the rest of the album. One fact that is already becoming clear is the importance of having Bacharach's former MD on board as arranger and producer.
Paul
Nicko

Post by Nicko »

pljms wrote:It's curious how her recording of 'The Balance of Nature' seems to owe more to the Carpenters than her version of 'Close to You'. Either way, both tracks are tip-top and they auger well for the rest of the album. One fact that is already becoming clear is the importance of having Bacharach's former MD on board as arranger and producer.

She says that they sped this version up from the Dionne version,added another bridge and some carpenteresqe vocals.

She says also that "this is Burts favorite off the album"
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Nicko wrote:Rumers take of 'Balance of Nature'

http://smarturl.it/BalanceOfNature
Sublime! Can't wait for the album. Surely one of Burt's loveliest melodies.........
pljms

Post by pljms »

Rumer's Bacharach and David album was advertised on British television last night just before the TV special The Nation's Favourite Carpenters Song. Featuring prominently in the ad is her version of 'Close to You'. Talking of which......

Yes, the British voting public are behaving strangely again. Not many of us predicted that we'd vote to leave the EU back in June and now in a much more important poll commissioned by ITV to find the UK's favourite Carpenters song we've spectacularly failed to vote 'Close to You' No.1. In fact it only came 4th, the winner being - wait for it - 'Please Mister Postman'. Now how many of us would have predicted that? During the TV special Bacharach was featured talking up the Carpenters' version of 'Close to You' while disdainfully talking down Richard Chamberlain's original recording, the sheer awfulness of which was revealed to an unsuspecting viewing public in a mercifully brief excerpt.
Paul
Nicko

Post by Nicko »

If you want to see that show its here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ciNT ... xjeWs/view
pljms

Post by pljms »

Some six weeks before the album is officially released I've stumbled upon this review:

http://www.themortonreport.com/entertai ... -songbook/
Paul