Dionne - Seconds

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Dionne - Seconds

Post by Guest »

i just had a thought if Burt & Dionne got together to record a new album
what songs that Dionne missed the first time round would you like to here.

The album could be called Seconds and that track could be included.

What other Burt songs woul you like to here "The Voice" cover ????

My Vote and Pre- and Post-Pregnancy Dionne! Huh?!!??

Post by Guest »

I would love to hear Dionne take on "This House Is Empty Now" and "Long Ago Tomorrow." A while back someone mentioned on this forum that when VERY DIONNE was being reissued an empty tape box was found in the Warner Acchives that should have contained, according to the box label, Dionne's recordings of "Everybody's Out of Town" cut in December of '69, a few weeks before BJ Thomas recorded the tune. I can imagine, when listening to Dionne sing "Odds and Ends" and "Who Gets the Guy" (both very similar in tempo and style to "Everybody...." that it would be a fantastic recording.

I would also like to hear "Windows and Doors", "So Long Johnny" "Lifetime of Loneliness" and "Come and Get Me" all by Jackie DeShannon and also "Take a Broken Heart" by Rick Nelson. More recent Bacharach, I would like to hear "On My Own"--which I heard a while back that Dionne recorded before Patti LaBelle and Michael McDonald--which sits unreleased in the Arista vaults.

Just my thoughts.....

BTW-Anybody notice that after Dionne gave birth to her son David Elliot in March of '69 her voice changed (at least to my ear)? Listen to SOULFUL, which was recorded while she was in the late stages of her pgegnancy-it is remarkable. Listen to the tunes on PROMISES, PROMISES recorded before and maybe into the first months of her pregnancy and to the tunes on I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN-especially "Let Me Go to Him." I may be crazy, but there seems to be a difference in the pre-pregnancy voice, the pregnancy voice and then the post-pregnancy voice.
brucewms

Let Me Be The One

Post by brucewms »

I really would like to see a 70-minute CD released of mostly brand new material by BB/HD/DW ala Elvis Costello. There are several Burt songs that I would love to hear Dionne record and one of them is "Let Me Be The One" written by Burt Bacharach/Denise Rich/ Taja Sevelle. That particular song was recorded by two fine artists: Johnny Mathis recorded it first and then Marilyn Scott recorded it a few years ago. Two more I would like to add are: Jamie Anders' "We Should Have Met Sooner" and "When You Bring Your Sweet Love To Me". Both of these songs are from the "Futures" release almost 30 years ago.

Post by Guest »

Make mine: Obsession, I Might Frighten Him Away, I Don't Need You Anymore and I'll 'second' Long Ago Tomorrow.

Post by guest »

I like the concept; however, the project title needs some re-thinking. I doubt that Dionne would have anything to do with the suggested title "SECONDS" If you think about it - a more accurate and apprpriate title might be "FIRSTS" Insignificant point regarding what could be some truly great recordings. Let me add: "Be True To Yourself" (Bobby Vee's 60's single)
rasputin

Suggestions for a proposed new BB/DW record...

Post by rasputin »

I LOVE "Be True To Yourself".... it's brilliant.... but isn't it (the lyric) a little bit "teenaged" for Dionne to sing at this autumnal point? I also second "So Long, Johnny" and "Come And Get Me". Also "A Lifetime Of Loneliness" is a great song.

I agree that Dionne should do one or two of those brilliant Elvis Costello tunes. She would positively KILL on a version of "This House Is Empty Now" or "Painted From Memory" or "Such Unlikely Lovers". Then again, it would be a supreme treat for Dionne to tackle that gem of the BB/EC collaboration, "God Give Me Strength"!!!!!!

How about Dionne covering "Through The Eye Of A Needle" (with a gorgeous string arrangement very much in the spirit of the original Cliff Richard record) or "Long After Tonight Is All Over" or "Live Again"?

The songs from LOST HORIZON are very much due for a re-examination.... they're truly gorgeous. What if Dionne did "The Things I Will Not Miss" with some younger girl singer? Also "Share The Joy" and "Where Knowledge Ends" would be superb vehicles for Dionne.

Dionne could do a very sexy remake of that late-70's tune (forgot the title, but the lyric is): "sure enough, it was him... funny how you get in tune with a man"

Could Dionne do "(Out Of My) Continental Mind" ? Is that too jazzy?

I love "Long Ago Tomorrow" and "We Should Have Met Sooner" and "I Took My Strength From You (I Had None)"

I even love "With Open Arms" and "Hot Spell", although it may be that the sensibilities of those lyrics pretty much date them to the 1950's....

Could the "gender" of the song "Half As Big As Life" be changed to a "woman's song" ?
Central Texas, USA
kyleburke

Post by kyleburke »

Great ideas, all (except, sorry David, I just can't see "Hot Spell" :wink: ), but don't forget those excellent songs which were undoubtedly written for Dionne (even if not literally, then certainly conceptually) but ended up on Stephanie Mills' FOR THE FIRST TIME, including the title track. As satisfactory as Stephanie's versions were, those songs still cried out for the maturity and subtle nuances of Dionne's voice. Also, definitely: "Don't Count the Days", "My Rock and Foundation", and maybe even "(S)He Who Loves".