Burt and Bob Hilliard

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

Burt and Bob Hilliard

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I wonder why Burt didn't continue writing songs with Bob Hilliard. I think Burt found greater success with Hilliard in those early years considering that they wrote two big hits together -- Tower of Strength and Any Day Now. So I'm thinking why wouldn't Burt have forged a more permanent alliance with Hilliard at that time? I'm wondering if their personalities didn't quite mesh. Otherwise, why leave Hilliard and look for someone else to write songs with? (Hilliard was 10 years older than Burt. Hal was 7 years older than Burt. So I don't think it was an age difference kind of thing.)

I also wonder if Hilliard was kicking himself after Burt and Hal and Dionne made such an enormous impact on the music world and on the charts. I mean, it could have been Bacharach & Hilliard all those years. Hilliard died in 1971 at the age of 53. Awfully young. I wonder what he died from. Wiki doesn't say. Hilliard also wrote "Our Day Will Come," which was one of the gigantic hits of that era. What a great song!
Martin Johnson

Re: Burt and Bob Hilliard

Post by Martin Johnson »

Of course, the other major hit Bacharach wrote with Bob Hilliard was 'Please Stay'. Zoot Money was the first to slow it down and reveal the deep pathos in the song, a recording from 1964 that inspired both the hit UK version by the Crying Shames a couple of years later and Elvis Costello's take on the song from the 90s. Bacharach stated during his interview with Michael Grade during the 'A Life in Song' show at the Festival Hall last year that he was proud of the songs he wrote with Bob Hilliard, none more than this I should imagine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fcMsUAbq24
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

One of Burt's greatest melodies! Such pathos (as you say) and such longing. And such a great song for slow dancing. And, again, with hits like this, I can't help wondering why Burt and Hilliard didn't stay together as a team after such success.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

If Bob Hilliard had still been around when Bacharach had split with Hal David in the 70s the chances are that they would have worked together again and who knows how many terrific songs they would have written. One other collaboration I wish could have borne more fruit was Bacharach's with Neil Simon, if their extraordinary 'Seconds' is anything to go by.
pljms

Post by pljms »

I've always loved this particular Bacharach/Hilliard song which has been covered by many artists including, curiously enough, several reggae stars. I've always had a soft spot for Ry Cooder's version, possibly because it was the first recording I heard of the song.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cci6Jn2t-Y
Paul
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Other Bacharach/Hilliard collaborations include 'Waiting for Charlie to Come Home', 'Three Wheels on My Wagon', 'The Answer to Everything', 'Keep Away From Other Girls', 'Who's Got the Action' and 'A Sinner's Devotion'. Although Tammi Terrell recorded 'A Sinner's Devotion' I prefer the better sounding version by Tina Robins. Just listen to what those backing vocalists are asked to sing towards the end and it suggests to me that it might well be a Bacharach production and arrangement as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4vDThp-vP4
pljms

Post by pljms »

According to the Song By Song book, Martin, Tina Robin's recording of 'A Sinner's Devotion' is a Bacharach demo from '61. Recorded the same year when she was known as Tammi Montgomery, Tammi Terrell's version was eventually released in '67 with less prominent backing vocals than the Tina Robin demo and without the key change.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LsogIQARIEk
Paul
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

In my judgment, Phil Colbert did an excellent job on;

Who's Got The Action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0AcFZTMSPY
Take care;

Vincent
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Heard this Bacharach & Hilliard song on my local radio station the other day and the presenter said, "It's remarkable enough that Barry 'The Eve of Destruction' McGuire was the lead vocalist on that, but what's even more remarkable is that is was composed by Burt Bacharach." The recording got to No.1 in the UK EP charts in 1965 and got played a lot, especially on request shows. Whenever I tell friends that BB composed this they never believe me. As novelty records go it's a classic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RghKdGn8h5A
phatmaddness909

Post by phatmaddness909 »

I know I'm incredibly late to this forum topic, but I am at a loss in trying to find out more information on Nancy Wilson's cover of "Waitin' For Charlie to Come Home". I was able to find the full album that this came from, but there is nowhere that can tell me the musicians who played on this, specifically the guitarist. I managed to lock down the technical peeps (producer, arranger, engineer), but that's where it ends. Since both Bob and Burt have long since passed, how can one find this info? Thanx in advance.

(Whoopsie. I had to look up his info again because I didn't remember ever hearing about Burt passing...because it hasn't happened! Open fingers, insert foot - forgive me for that! :| )