Burt in the UK June/July

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Barry in the UK

Burt in the UK June/July

Post by Barry in the UK »

Some dates for Burt in concert here in the UK have just been announced. Burt will have orchestra and special guest Joss Stone.

Monday 27 June Colston Hall, Bristol
Wednesday 29 June Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool
Monday 4 July Royal Festival Hall, London
Wednesday 6 July Cliffs Pavilion, Southend (band only)

Cheers
Barry
Blair N. Cummings

Re: Burt in the UK June/July

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

If Burt has Joss with him for all four gigs he could give Donna, Josie and John the nights off. Now, with all due respect to those three, I don`t think there is a better pop singer alive than Joss. She`s not as popular here in the US as she apparently is...well, everywhere else in the world, but what would you expect? I envy everyone who gets to see her with Burt.
Oh, and she`s unbelievably beautiful, too.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Burt + Joss Stone + full Orchestra !
It just doesn't get any better than that !
(apart from Burt and Dionne perhaps ? )

'blue'
pljms

Post by pljms »

In the space of a matter of weeks in London this summer I'll be seeing in concert Gordon Lightfoot, Carole King, Burt Bacharach and Jimmy Webb. It doesn't really get much better than that, does it? Incidentally, the way the Festival Hall is promoting the Bacharach gig it looks like Joss Stone will be an integral part of the show and won't be merely singing one or two songs, which is usually the lot of a 'Special Guest' at a BB concert.
Paul
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

pljms wrote:In the space of a matter of weeks in London this summer I'll be seeing in concert Gordon Lightfoot, Carole King, Burt Bacharach and Jimmy Webb. It doesn't really get much better than that, does it? Incidentally, the way the Festival Hall is promoting the Bacharach gig it looks like Joss Stone will be an integral part of the show and won't be merely singing one or two songs, which is usually the lot of a 'Special Guest' at a BB concert.
I plan to attend the Bacharach gig but not the other three, besides I think the Carole King Tapestry event in Hyde Park will probably have sold out by now. Joss Stone having an 'integral' role in the BB concert sounds intriguing but I think there's a limit to the amount of soulful, heart-wrenching songs that would suit her. However, if it means we lose those medleys and get more complete songs then her appearance has to be a good thing.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Joss's rendition of 'In Between The Heartaches' was one of the 'highlights' of last years UK Bacharach concerts......well for me anyway.
Just booked to see Burt in Liverpool.

'blue'
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

"Gentle" isn`t the first adjective that springs to mind when thinking of Joss Stone, but if she pulled off "In Between the Heartaches", there can`t be much of anything in the Bacharach canon she can`t do. Yeah, she did a misguided version of "Alfie" for the mercifully buried remake a few years ago but I`ve no doubt that Burt will remind her to sing the melody and that all will be well.
Really, it`s a shame that she`s so little appreciated in the US. Screw Adele, Rumer, Taylor Swift, and even Beyoncé. They`re all corporate creations. Joss is the real deal.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

pljms

Post by pljms »

Despite the way Festival Hall is promoting the gig I can't imagine that Joss Stone will sing more than three or four songs and other than that it will remain a standard Bacharach show, medleys included. Remembering that Joss is essentially an R' n 'B singer, one Bacharach song would appear to be tailor-made for her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDFXv2iG0E0
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

pljms, there are so many other Bacharach songs Joss can sing, she has such a tremendous vocal range....I agree with you, 'This Empty Place' would be an ideal choice.

Thanks for posting.

'blue'