Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

Alfie by Warwick

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

No, not Dionne... but her sister, Dee Dee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKv99zqU1HY

Question: Dionne's real last name is Warrick. The story goes that on Dionne's first record her name was misspelled as "Warwick." So that means that Dee Dee's last name is Warrick. So did she intentionally misspell her last name so as to ride on the coattails of her more famous sister? If that's the case, quite frankly it doesn't make much sense to me.
BachtoBacharach

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Makes perfect sense to me that Dee Dee would adopt Dionne's professional name...singers needed every break they could get in those days...Dee Dee was extremely talented (IMHO much more talented and genuine than Aretha Franklin) who struggled to get her big hit and it never came...she had some moderate chart success...she recorded the original version of You're No Good which is awesome...later made famous by Linda Ronstadt. She and Dionne were extremely close and Dionne had no problem with Dee Dee using the moniker. Dionne was proud of her sister and often remarked that Dee Dee was the singer in the family.

Dee Dee's recording of Alfie was done in late 1966 and Dionne and Burt loved Dee Dee's version so much that Burt used Dee Dee's arrangement as the basis for his arrangement of Dionne's version and if you listen closely they are remarkably similar in both arrangement and vocals.
An Enormous BB Fan

I'm surprised that you don't see the greatness of Aretha's voice and singing, as was exhibited in song after song after song for so many years. As for Dee Dee, she was better than most but she didn't have the pipes that Dionne had, and Dionne's version of "Alfie" simply can't be bettered -- by Dee Dee or anyone. Of course, this is all subjective, isn't it? For example, I think Jimmy Webb wrote some good songs, but he's nowhere near Burt.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Enormous, I would simply amend your last sentence above to read: "...Jimmy Webb wrote some great songs; they`re just not like Burt`s."
No one is - or will be - like Burt...or JW, nor should anyone even try to be. We`ve already had them both. If anyone thinks he or she can top them, by all means, have at it. And good f...ing luck!
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Jimmy mentions Burt.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40xZIEvDhE0

"blue"
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Agreed - there will never be another JW or BB. ..... Topping them is an unrealistic scenario; however, being inspired and motivated by their bodies of work should result in some new, unique, recognizable and lasting composing styles that will benefit those in the future who will appreciate good music! .... How fortunate we have been with the soundtracks of our lives thanks to Burt, Jimmy and some others who have delivered the goods!

ron
Davidcrab

Carola Haggkvist: Someday

Post by Davidcrab »

Burt Bacharach co-wrote one song on Eurovision queen Carola's album "My Time" released in 2001, the song is called "Someday", written with Steven Krikorian aka "Tonio K". After "Someday" there is a hidden track "The ways of life" which was certainly not written by Bacharach. I appear to be the first person to upload this track, here it is:
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

It's often been mentioned here that Knowing When to Leave has to be Bacharach & David's most covered non-hit. One of the better recordings was a single from 1969 by Sue Raney. This has just become available on a digital compilation album entitled Sue Raney - Singles:

pljms

Post by pljms »

Thanks for posting Sue Raney's 'Knowing When to Leave', Martin. Although this is generally regarded as a woman's song, a couple of male vocalists have made recordings, namely Joe Bourne and Gordon MacRae, neither of which are on YouTube. The most recent recording of this song that I'm aware of and which is on YT is this voice-piano version which is coupled with 'Promises, Promises'.

Paul
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

My family in Oz tell me that BB is now including 'Something Big' and 'Mexican Divorce' in his set-list. Here's Ry Cooder's rendition of the latter song from his 'Paradise and Lunch' album, circa 1974.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Does anyone know this "Frankie Presto" that Burt's talking about ?

"blue"
An Enormous BB Fan

blueonblue wrote:Does anyone know this "Frankie Presto" that Burt's talking about ?

"blue"
Frankie Presto is a totally fictional character written by the writer Mitch Albom and Burt is making up that whole story to help promote the book shown here in this link:

Burt does a great job of it, too, doesn't he?
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

An Enormous BB Fan wrote:
blueonblue wrote:Does anyone know this "Frankie Presto" that Burt's talking about ?

"blue"
Frankie Presto is a totally fictional character written by the writer Mitch Albom and Burt is making up that whole story to help promote the book shown here in this link:

Burt does a great job of it, too, doesn't he?
Thanks Enormous(ly)
Well he totally fooled me !

"blue"
pljms

Post by pljms »

One of the many inconsistencies of Bacharach's autobiography was his total amnesia regarding his scoring of the film 'After The Fox'. It was good to hear the title tune on BBC Radio's Sounds of the 60s last Saturday morning. I recall reading an interview with Tony Hicks and Bobby Elliot of the Hollies a few years ago and they remembered how excited they were to be working with Burt.

Paul
Roberto Pinardi

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

The Best...

Ciao
Rob