The Wrecking Crew

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

grooverider

The Wrecking Crew

Post by grooverider »

I'm now reading an absolutely amazing book, "Sound Explosion Inside L.A.'s Studio Factory with the Wrecking Crew", 258 pages, most in color, of the history of those many musicians (Hal Blaine, Joe Osborn, Larry Knechtel, etc) who contributed to a glorious sound beginning in the early 60s. The author is Ken Sharp and it's a companion to a newly released DVD, "The Wrecking Crew" directed by Denny Tedesco (who's father is guitar great, Tommy Tedesco). In the lengthy list of "Cast of Characters" is one Burt Bacharach. Have not finished to whole book, but guitarist Bill Pitman tells of the time while working on the "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid" soundtrack, Burt Bacharach asked him to go on a road tour with him, an offer he accepted.
I realize Burt mainly recorded in New York, what songs/albums did he record in Los Angeles, with, I'm assuming, members of the Wrecking Crew?
Burt is interviewed about collaborating/the making of "This Guy's In Love With You"
Herb Alpert talks about "(They Long To Be) Close to You" and the decision not to use the already recorded drums of Karen Carpenter and go with Hal Blaine, instead.
Extremely informative, wonderful pictures, it's one that's hard to put down, it's 3 1/2 lb and the size of an actual record album!
Blair N. Cummings

Re: The Wrecking Crew

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

There is a DVD documentary on the cusp of release via Amazon:

You will also see a near-identical item that seems already available. I can`t distinguish between them.
I have ordered the book through my library.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Dear Blair, If the book you're refrencing is "The Wrecking Crew" by Kent Hartman, published in 2013, please check out bass player and original Wrecking Crew member, Carol Kaye's response/opinion about that book. Yikes!!!
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

No, this a newer account entitled "Sound Explosion..." but I`d love to know what was offensive about the earlier one.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Dear Blair, Here's part of Carol Kaye's response to the book, "The Wrecking Crew" by Kent Hartman, in her own words:

Please don't buy this phony book by a "writer" who made false promises of the "truth" (for a magazine article, never a book!) he changed my words, and others' words too, to fit his own needs for $$$ -- he wanted to be in "our studio business" etc. This is another bad poorly written wrong phony book, please don't buy.
CAROL KAYE 1st Call Bassist All Hollywood Studios, 1960s-1970s, author & leading educator, over 30 courses and tutor.

Her full review of this book is at Amazon.com.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Thanks, grooverider, because I was trying to think of Carol Kaye's name yesterday and I couldn't remember it (and I didn't take the 2 seconds to look it up on the 'net either). But I did want to mention that I'm a big fan of hers. As far as I'm concerned, she's right up there with James Jamerson on the bass guitar. I'm a big fan of the Wrecking Crew and they played on so many hit records it's unbelievable. What the Funk Brothers were to Motown, the Wrecking Crew was to so much of the other pop songs coming out of LA. As a huge fan of Carol Kaye, if she says not to buy it, then I won't.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Dear An Enormous BB Fan, oh yes, Carol Kaye's impact on popular music cannot be overstated, just like the rest of the "Crew"!! In the book, Ms. Kaye says that on Ike & Tina Turner's, 'River Deep-Mountain High", Phil Spector used 3 bass players: Carol Kaye, Lyle Ritz and an unnamed third musician, the track recorded "live" in the studio, no overdubs!! Imagine being in that recording studio hearing that magic being made?
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

grooverider wrote:..........Imagine being in that recording studio hearing that magic being made?
Incredible!
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

"blue"
pljms

Post by pljms »

I see that the legendary drummer Hal Blaine died yesterday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 3136206002
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »