Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Djalma Junior

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Post by Djalma Junior »

"Knowing When To Leave" by the Mike Sammes Singers

From the 1974 LP "And I Love You So".

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Reminds me of The Carpenters version......superb !
Thanks for posting.

"blue"
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

It reminds you of the Carpenters' version, Blue, for the very good reason that the Mike Sammes Singers sing the same changes in melody to the chorus (Burt wouldn't have been pleased) as the Carpenters plus, of course, there's the breakneck speed. However, one major difference is that the Mike Sammes Singers go where only one previous recording has gone before by singing the very long chorus twice. That other recording with a repeat of the chorus was from the 2010 Broadway Cast album of 'Promises, Promises' and was sung by Kristen Chenoweth. Here it is with the chorus as Bacharach wrote it and at a much more sensible tempo:

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Martin, thanks for that great video.
The first time I ever heard that song was way back in1969 on Burt's "Make It Easy On Yourself" album.
This will always be my favorite version.

"blue"
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Martin Johnson wrote:It reminds you of the Carpenters' version, Blue, for the very good reason that the Mike Sammes Singers sing the same changes in melody to the chorus (Burt wouldn't have been pleased) as the Carpenters plus, of course, there's the breakneck speed. However, one major difference is that the Mike Sammes Singers go where only one previous recording has gone before by singing the very long chorus twice. That other recording with a repeat of the chorus was from the 2010 Broadway Cast album of 'Promises, Promises' and was sung by Kristen Chenoweth. Here it is with the chorus as Bacharach wrote it and at a much more sensible tempo:

I don't know what people see in Kristen Chenoweth's voice. I'm sure she's a lovely lady and a wonderful actress, but, for me, her voice is average at best. For me, to be honest, it actually is grating and, on some notes, hurts my ears.
An Enormous BB Fan

blueonblue wrote:Martin, thanks for that great video.
The first time I ever heard that song was way back in1969 on Burt's "Make It Easy On Yourself" album.
This will always be my favorite version.

"blue"
Me, too, blue. That was an amazing album with awe-inspiring orchestrations. I'll never forget the first time I put that album on the my record player. (Record player??? What's THAT??? :-) )

Truly, waiting for the next Burt Bacharach album was something to live for. Whose music can I say that about now? Sad.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

I believe Bacharach commissioned the Carpenters to concoct the medley of his songs that featured 'Knowing When to Leave', so perhaps Richard Carpenter got his permission first before slightly altering the melody line to the chorus. I agree with Martin from a previous thread concerning the song that two of the best vocal recordings are by Sue Raney and Gordon MacRae but, alas, neither feature on Youtube. Another recording not on Youtube which features the chorus sung twice is by Joe Bourne. This is the most laid-back version of the song I've heard, almost smooth jazz territory and makes a change from all the rather frenetic recordings that are out there. If I had to choose one B&D song that deserves to be much better known I'd plump for this absolute gem which is so original and yet so typical of the pair.
davidhurley

Post by davidhurley »

Make It Easy On Yourself this is also one of my favorite song when ever I listen this I feel very good....
Toms

I Still Remeber Burt and John Pagano

Post by Toms »

Burt and John Pagano

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

"Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown ? "
Music : John Barry
Lyrics : Hal David

"blue"
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Early example of the soon to be known "BACHARACH SOUND"

"blue"
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

"blue"

You're right! ..... 2 others come to mind: "Be True To Yourself" (by Bobby Vee) and "Fool Killer" (by Gene Pitney). ........ I was attracted to their unique qualities before I ever heard of Burt Bacharach!
Thanks for the link. ... Never heard that Adam Wade recording before.

ron
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Ron,
Glad you enjoyed Adam Wade's "Rain From The Skies"
Here's Delroy Wilson's version .....Bacharach and David go "Reggae" !

"blue"
Eliphas Desni

Post by Eliphas Desni »

Very good Yugoslavian singer Radojka Šverko doing Close To You.
Radojka Šverko - Budi moj

Enjoy.
An Enormous BB Fan

"To Wait For Love," sung by Jackie DeShannon. And what a wonderful arrangement. If only the Taylor Swift's of the world could write a song that even comes close to a song like this. Burt just is a genius who composes music that is such a JOY to listen to .... over and over and over.

And the recent entries above are great, too. So easy on the ears!