EVERYBODY'S OUT OF TOWN

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

EVERYBODY'S OUT OF TOWN

Post by guest »

HEY! Everybody must be out of town! Not a single post for 3 days. I'll put my thinking cap on and try to come up with something. Must be something in the air or that recent "full moon".

Post by Guest »

Too bad that song didn't do well......great little record...
The public just did not hanker to it.....
rasputin

B.J. Thomas recs

Post by rasputin »

Yes, "Everybody's Out Of Town" and "Scranton, PA" are two super-gems of the BB/HD style.
Central Texas, USA
kyleburke

While we're on the B.J. Thomas era

Post by kyleburke »

Don't forget "Long Ago Tomorrow". What a masterpiece.
rasputin

re: B.J. Thomas gems

Post by rasputin »

Yes, when I first discovered that song-- only two or three years ago!-- I couldn't stop playing the record, singing it, and trying to plunk out the melody on the piano...

BB has always lavished so much intelligence and finesse to every parameter of his pop songs... but "Long Ago Tomorrow" just takes the cake.

That chord progression on "Chan---ges---ME", namely F13 resolving to Gmaj9 with a D in the bass! is just sublime.

And the sinuous melody is super. And the uneven phrase lengths really intrigue.

So very, very few songwriters of the Rock era know how to vary the innards of a song the way BB did, and does.
ron

Post by ron »

At about the same time as Scepter Records released B.J. Thomas' Album - "Everybody's Out Of Town" - Thomas made some statements relative to not being interested in becoming BB/HD's Male counterpart to Dionne Warwick. Too bad - he truly handles their material so well and if he pursued it - he certainly would not have been in direct competition with DW since their voices were each best suited for different material. His "star" faded in the 70's and he took his career in other musical directions. The songs cited above are great as well as "Raindrops". A couple duets with DW are included on the recently released and remastered "VERY DIONNE"
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

ron wrote:At about the same time as Scepter Records released B.J. Thomas' Album - "Everybody's Out Of Town" - Thomas made some statements relative to not being interested in becoming BB/HD's Male counterpart to Dionne Warwick.
How foolish of him. I can't imagine many male singers of that time feeling that way. What could be better than having the greatest songwriting team of that era writing, arranging and producing your albums?