Very nice Roger Nichols & Friends track

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

Very nice Roger Nichols & Friends track

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I`m not sure if this is from their last, Heart Is Home, release because it looked like a mix of (a lot) of old and (not much) new when I scoped it out on Amazon a year or two ago. It`s pretty and I think Nichols criminally under-rated as a composer but these Japanese-only imports come with extortionate price tags.
Does anyone know more about - or have - this album?
blueonblue

Re: Very nice Roger Nichols & Friends track

Post by blueonblue »

Blair,
Absolutely beautiful track by a master songwriter !
IMHO Roger Nichols is right up there with Burt and Jimmy Webb.
I don't have the album you mentioned, but I'll certainly be seeking it out.
Thank you for sharing.

"blue"
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Blair,
This is from their 2012 Japanese-only cd, "My Heart Is Home". They have released, since reforming, two cd's, "My Heart Is Home" and from 2008, "Full Circle" available on UK's Now Sounds/Cherry Red label. Yes, they are still Murray MacLeod, Melinda MacLeod Patterson and Roger Nichols, the Small Circle of Friends.
Blair N. Cummings

I have Full Circle(as well as a rather inferior Another Small Circle of Friends) but My Heart Is Home seemed to have a track list consisting of many old recordings with only two or three new songs. Can anyone clarify? Thanks.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

A trailer for the "My Heart is Home" album.

A two part interview with Roger and friends....

"blue"
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Blair,
Track listing:
Show Your Love, We've Only Just Begun, Girl With A Complicated Heart, Take Me Home, The One World of You and Me, Something From Paradise, My Heart Is Home, the Moon is Red, Everything But You, Christmas Is My favorite Time of Year,
Feels Good To Be Bad Again.
Blair N. Cummings

Thanks, Grooverider. This seems worth having if not shelling out $40.00.
Ken Miller

Post by Ken Miller »

Why is this not available for download? I understand that the Japanese market is much more open to music of this type, but there would be no distribution costs. Is it to make us pay top dollar?
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Ken, check out Ebay prices for their first album, from 1968, on A & M. Look at those prices! And to answer your question, "yes".
Blair, I think for now, the 2012 cd will be Japan-only release, hence the larger digits! This group never had a large US following, minimal output, wonder how many albums Paul Williams sold on A & M? I realize that's comparing apples to oranges, as Mr. Williams was much more visible (The Tonight Show) and wrote lyrics to movie themes, appeared in movies ("Phantom of the Paradise"), where Roger Nichols seemed to be content being behind the scene, so to speak. Yes, Roger Nichols continued to write but has a small discography. Somehow that seems to translate to "let's see how much his fans are willing to pay?"