Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Post by blueonblue »

"Who's Got The Action".......it ain't me that's for sure !

"blue"
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Thanks Paul and Blue for the 'Captives of the Heart' videos - the chord sequence to the song's chorus is a real beauty. I recall there being a Jobim medley on Dionne's 'Brasil' album, including a snippet of this gem. Talking of harmonic changes, they don't get much more mesmeric than this:

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Martin, thank you for sharing that wonderful song !

I've always loved this Lady......always will.

"blue"
pljms

Post by pljms »

In this month's Record Collector magazine there's an interview with "Little Anthony" Gourdine. When asked if he thought the songs Teddy Randazzo wrote for Little Anthony and the Imperials were as good as Bacharach he replied, "Better". Certainly, I've seen their biggest hit mistakenly credited to Bacharach several times over the years, including in parenthesis on record labels and sleeves:

Paul
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I`m sorry but I couldn`t disagree more. This was Vegas schlock. No one with ears would confuse this with a Bacharach composition.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Sounds more like a Tony Hatch / Jackie Trent composition....great track though.

"blue"
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Here's Little Anthony & the Imperials, (without lead vocals from Little Anthony) "Walk On By":

Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

I remember Jimmy Webb waxing lyrical on his BBC radio series a few years ago about Little Anthony and the Imperials 'Going Out of My Head', saying how he used it as a benchmark in both songwriting and arranging when he started out. Its influence is definitely all over this song he wrote and arranged for the Contessas in 1965, later to be covered by both Thelma Houston and Richard Harris.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Blair N. Cummings wrote:I`m sorry but I couldn`t disagree more. This was Vegas schlock. No one with ears would confuse this with a Bacharach composition.
"Goin' Out Of My Head" = one of the great pop songs ever written.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Martin Johnson wrote:A shame the audio test version of 'Captives of the Heart' video has been withdrawn. Here's the recording found on Dionne Warwick's 'Aquarela Do Brasil' album and I think it's by far and away the best thing that she did with Bacharach after their mid-80s reunion.

One hell of a sexy Burt Bacharach composition. I love how he keeps holding back until the lyric goes "... nothing's ever gonna change, nothing will remain the same, for all of our lives..." So marvelous, so sexy and evocative. Pure Burt Bacharach! And Dionne here is pure Dionne too!
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Here's a fantastic pop song performed by two fantastic singers Frank and Ella....

"blue"
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

When the Walker Brothers were No.1 in the UK with 'Make it Easy on Yourself' I remember most of the girls in my class having a crush on either Scott or John. I've always liked Scott's voice and his was the first recording I heard of this Bacharach & David classic.
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Yes Sara, The Crusaders are versatile. I was listening to Jimmy Miller's jazz program on KIOO in OKC in the late 60's when there was a contest to win tickets to their engagement at Bryant Center. The question was "Who is #1 on Billboard's Jazz Chart?" and I knew the answer and called in and won. I was given the V.I.P. treatment that night and was given tickets to the next night's performance. They were billed as The Jazz Crusaders and collectively they were tight, however, individually, they were virtuosos. The group was comprised of Joe Sample (p), Stix Hooper (d), Wilton Felder (b), Larry Carlton (g), and Wayne Henderson (trmbne, sax). Their album "Louisiana Hot Sauce" from 1996 features the incomparable vocals of Dionne Warwick on the cut "Sweet Pralines". Their reunion occured in 2010 and, sadly, Wayne passed away this past April. He released a very classy album around 10 years ago which featured the vocals of another great songstress, Jean Carn(e).
Davidcrab

Post by Davidcrab »

Freddie and the Dreamers were a group from Manchester, England, who were very popular in the early 60's. They only recorded one Bacharach/David song as far as I know, and I am the first person to upload it to Youtube, quite a good song for Freddie's jaunty style. "I fell in love with your picture".
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

The full version of Dionne Warwick's "Captives Of The Heart" composed by Burt Bacharach and John Bettis in 1994.

"blue"