Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Post by blueonblue »

Catchy tune !

"blue"
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

blueonblue wrote:Catchy tune !

"blue"
This is why Burt's music will last forever. It's just so catchy and can be interpreted in a million different ways. Of course, any song can be interpreted a million different ways, that's true. But Burt's music is WORTH the effort. And, of course, this isn't even half the song.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

This is a great rendition of "What The World Needs Now (Is Love)" by Madeline Bell. I've often wondered if this is the same Madeline who used to post great stuff here and obviously had inside knowledge of what happened in Burt's/Hal's/Dionne's recording sessions. That Madeline surely knew her stuff!

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

An Enormous BB Fan wrote:
blueonblue wrote:Catchy tune !

"blue"
This is why Burt's music will last forever. It's just so catchy and can be interpreted in a million different ways. Of course, any song can be interpreted a million different ways, that's true. But Burt's music is WORTH the effort. And, of course, this isn't even half the song.
Enormous,
Another "sample" of Bacharach.

"blue"
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

From his tv show (in 1969), here's Andy Williams with a medley of songs, including "Baby It's You", though he never recorded it for any album, in 1969 the group Smith had a #5 US hit.
Here's "Baby It's You/Since I Fell For You/If I Ruled The World":

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Nice Bacharach pastiche......

"blue"
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

An interesting documentary on Roberta Flack on BBC TV the other night which featured Dionne Warwick reminiscing about the first time she saw and heard her in a small club in Washington in the mid-60s and how she was “blown away” by her performance. A lot of debate on the doc about just how ‘soulful’ a singer Flack was, given her relatively straight, un-histrionic style. It was that very quality that must have made Bacharach wish he could have worked with her earlier than he eventually did in 1982. Here’s a rare live performance version of that Bacharach/Bayer Sager/Bruce Roberts song, albeit with poor sound quality. Incidentally, Roberta Flack’s more popular song about making love, ‘Feel Like Makin’ Love’, was written by Gene McDaniels, best remembered today for his Top 5 hit version of Bacharach and Hilliard’s ‘A Tower Of Strength’. Funny old world, isn’t it?

pljms

Post by pljms »

Yes Martin, Roberta Flack was usually very straight when it came to singing the melody of a song without too much if any embellishment. Ironically, she takes more than a few liberties with the melody of 'Making Love' in that live recording you posted, plus she's singing behind the beat most of the time. I think with her there always was a very thin line between what comes over as beautiful and moving and what is just plain dull and dreary. A recording of hers that definitely fits into the former category for me is that other making love song you referenced. Can you imagine a record this soft and subtle getting to No.1 in the Hot 100 today as it did then in summer '74?

Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

P.F Sloan...one of the great unsung heroes of pop.....

"blue"
Peter Greenhill

Post by Peter Greenhill »

Captives Of The Heart (Dionne Warwick)- audio test Just 1.25 but a gorgeous version

Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

A shame the audio test version of 'Captives of the Heart' video has been withdrawn. Here's the recording found on Dionne Warwick's 'Aquarela Do Brasil' album and I think it's by far and away the best thing that she did with Bacharach after their mid-80s reunion.

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Peter and Martin,
At the end of this clip, Burt and Dionne can be seen rehearsing and performing "Captives of the Heart".....quite magical.

"blue"
Peter Greenhill

Post by Peter Greenhill »

Sorry the audio test has been removed. It was only posted at the beginning of this week!
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I`m sorry, but this song strikes me as epitomising the bland, anonymous crap that Burt churned out through most of his years with Carole - and even after. Compare it to the three Bacharach tracks on the We Need to Go Back album. Really, there is no comparison; but it illustrates what I miss in these later compositions.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Burt's superlative instrumental film version of "Here I Am"
And they say nostalgia's a thing of the past ?

"blue"