Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

grooverider

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Post by grooverider »

Dear blueonblue, thank you for that clip. That Paddy McAloon is quite a talent, how about a change of pace, a toe-tapping, barn burner, "Cowboy Dreams":

(Sorry, but I could go on and on with Prefab Sprout clips!)
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Thank you again grooverider.

The Sorcerer and his Apprentice.....

"blue"
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Talking of J. Webb, it was terrific to hear Thelma Houston's 'Everybody Gets to Go to the Moon' on BBC Radio 2's 'Sounds of the 60s' this morning. An extraordinary performance of an extraordinary song and an instant 'standard' without ever becoming a chart hit:

Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Yes, it was the best thing played on the show, Martin. I remember for about a year after Thelma Houston's recording in '69 it seemed that just about every guest singer on a BBC TV show sang it, and here's Dusty Springfield performing the song in 1970 on Englebert Humperdinck's show:

Roberto Pinardi

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

Finally!

Bye
Bob
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Why "Finally!"?
Was this mess cut from the movie before (or after) its release?
To me it just looks like proof that:
A. Olivia Hussey couldn`t dance any better than she could sing
B. Someone tried to sneak some soft-core homo-erotica into the thing.
Since I don`t care about either, I understand if the editor`s ax fell on this sequence.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I don't think anything could have stopped Burt from composing music except this movie. An unstoppable force finally met an immovable object!
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

The Divine Comedy .....

"blue"
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Dionne Warwick on French TV circa '67. I've not heard this for a while so it sounded very fresh on this morning's 'Sounds of the 60s':

An Enormous BB Fan

Window Wishing

I wonder how many viewings of this it will take me to realize that we can't turn the clock back so that Dionne, Burt and Hal can start their careers all over again? (Well, at least we have old videotapes to remind us of what we once had.)
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I`ve always been ambivalent regarding jazz interpretations of Burt; but I`ve never been ambivalent about Carmen McRae. I don`t particularly like vocal music in either classical or jazz, but (along with Ella`s "Songbook" recordings, of course), she made some of the really enduring albums - particularly later in life. She is, fortunately, well-represented by concert videos on YouTube so if she`s new to you, check them out.
Meanwhile, here`s a spare "Close to You":
An Enormous BB Fan

Blair N. Cummings wrote:I`ve always been ambivalent regarding jazz interpretations of Burt; but I`ve never been ambivalent about Carmen McRae. I don`t particularly like vocal music in either classical or jazz, but (along with Ella`s "Songbook" recordings, of course), she made some of the really enduring albums - particularly later in life. She is, fortunately, well-represented by concert videos on YouTube so if she`s new to you, check them out.
Meanwhile, here`s a spare "Close to You":
This is definitely a certain style of singing. And people like it and I can appreciate it, honestly I can. But, for me, after listening to this for a minute, I just want to open the window and jump out.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

I suppose most of us have had well-meaning friends knowing of our love of Bacharach’s music play us tracks that they consider Burt-like which to our ears sound only vaguely like him at best or nothing like him at all. A couple of days ago I was in a friend’s car and she put on this CD track saying, “This will be right up your street, you being a Bacharach fanatic.” Maybe it was because it was a beautiful sunny day on the English south coast and we were in an open-top car that made it sound so irresistible:

mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

I love Koop. What's even more amazing is that their music consists entirely of samples. It boggles the mind.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Yes Mark, all samples bar the vocals! Until last week I'd never heard of Koop and now I look forward to discovering more of their music.