New server

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin

New server

Post by mark »

Apologies for not giving a pre-emptive heads up, but at long last, I'm in the process of moving www.bacharachonline.com to a new server. The upside is it should be faster, more secure and less likely to experience downtime. Unfortunately, there may be some interruptions or issues during the conversion, but I hope to have everything ironed out by Friday. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Thanks for all the support and please keep posting!
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: New server

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Congratulation, Mark, and thanks! And I guess this explains what I saw when I came here last night. And maybe it explains why this site was down a few times recently. I also hope that, somehow, you can get rid of the spammers who come here and fill up the discussion board with crapola. Maybe they're bots, I don't know much about it. Either way, good luck with the new server and thanks for keeping this site alive.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Thanks An Enormous BB Fan. I don't want to get overconfident, but the new server is much better equipped to block spammers and stop the bot attacks that slowed the site to crawl and repeatedly got it suspended. I'm already noticing much quicker load times. Keep your fingers crossed!

(Sorry I referred to you as Vincent earlier!)
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Mark:

.... A Big - THANK YOU - which includes thanks to anyone who may have assisted you with this transition. ....... As always your efforts are greatly appreciated! ... All The Best to you and your young family!

Ron
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Thanks Ron! There are a few quirks yet to be ironed out, but on the whole the transition was pretty smooth. The site seems faster and more responsive to me, but I'll let you guys be the judge of that.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Mark,
Good luck with the new server and many thanks for this Great website !

Kindest regards,
"blue"
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Thanks Blue. One think I noticed is that I inadvertently changed the address of the forum, so if users had bookmarked it, it's now coming up as an error page. Hopefully people realize that they can click on the banner to go to the homepage and then click on the Discussion Forum link on the right, but that takes a little effort. I think that might explain why things are currently slow here. I've been trying to set up a redirect from the old URL to the new one, but that's easier said than done.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Belated thanks, Mark. I am one who kept getting that error screen all weekend and just now got around it. I`m changing the address on my "Favorites" list.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Sorry about that, Blair. I really should have posted a message that I was changing servers prior to the fact to give everybody a heads up. I didn't even realize I'd changed the address of the forum until after it was done, and by then I decided it would be too complicated to change it back. Hopefully the old regulars will figure it out over time. As I said before, I'm finding the new server to be much more responsive, so hopefully the faster load times will encourage people to read the forum and post comments.