Burt's PROMISES, PROMISES gets another release

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

HGN2001

Burt's PROMISES, PROMISES gets another release

Post by HGN2001 »

Reposted from my post at the A&M Corner Forum:

Back in 1999, longtime fans of Burt Bacharach's musical PROMISES, PROMISES welcomed a new CD release (first time ever on CD!) from Rykodisc. Copies of the old LP had been selling for hefty prices on eBay.

Today, with THAT disc out of print, prices for the CD have been skyrocketing as well, particularly since the death of Tony Award-winning Jerry Orbach, who had the starring role in the US cast of PROMISES, PROMSES.

Now it appears that Varese Sarabande is coming to the rescue on April 12th, with a re-release of the original cast recording. Amazon is taking orders here.

It's an excellent set of Bacharach music. I was turned on to it by our own JMK back before the CD release. No-one does "Knowing When To Leave" quite like Jill O'Hara.

Harry
NP: PROMISES, PROMISES original cast recording
Harry from A&M Corner
Steveo

Post by Steveo »

Hello Harry from A&M corner!
Steveo

Post by Guest »

I wish someone would put together also the songs that were taken out of the musical (can one still find them somewhere?) as well as the new song Burt and Hall wrote for City Center's Encore! series...

Great to know that the original cast album is available again.
HGN2001

Post by HGN2001 »

Steveo wrote:Hello Harry from A&M corner!
Steveo
Hello Steveo!
Harry from A&M Corner
Steve S

Promises Promises music

Post by Steve S »

I, too, love this score. I saw the show in April of 1970 and loved it. I have listened to the score endlessly, first on cassette, and then, finally, in the late 90s, I was able to get the CD from Rykodisc(?). I saw the Encores presentation and heard the new Bacharach/David song and enjoyed it. I recently got the "Broadway First Take" CD with several songs from Promises. I really love "Let's Pretend We're Grown Up" for its energy, time changes and smart intervals. I also like "Tick Tock Goes the Clock." To be honest, it's one of my very favorite Bacharach songs. I particularly like the arrangement on the "Lost in Boston" series. It's better than what's on the "Broadway First Take" CD. Long live Burt and his incredible gifts!
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Whoever here who hasn't heard the score from "Promises, Promises" should really get this CD. There's just one great song after another. The ending to "Turkey Lurkey Time" alone will knock your socks off! I'll never forget sitting in that Broadway theatre and hearing that music for the first time (with the exception of Promises, Promises and I'll Never Fall In Love Again which had been 2 hits for Dionne by that time). I was in absolute heaven.

Post by Guest »

Great score..I just wish it was recorded better..i hate the sound of the
engineering...
Bill

"Promises, Promises"

Post by Bill »

Just found this discussion online re: the "Promises, Promises" CD reissue and the comments are both interesting and flattering. Thought my fellow Burt fans would appreciate them.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/read ... 546#902242
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: "Promises, Promises"

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Bill wrote:Just found this discussion online re: the "Promises, Promises" CD reissue and the comments are both interesting and flattering. Thought my fellow Burt fans would appreciate them.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/read ... 546#902242
Thanks for the link.

"Justice" TOTALLY BAFFLES me when s/he writes: "I'm so glad this cd has been released. I have been looking for it for years! I love Bacharach (with the exception of "Anyone Who Had a Heart"), and some of the songs I have heard from this are great."

"With the exception of "Anyone Who Had a Heart"?????? Did I read that correctly? I would NEVER believe in a million years that anyone could say that and mean it. I should think it impossible for anyone to dislike that song. Oh well!

"Wildcat" wrote: "Incidentally, Bacharach was so obsessed with getting a "recording studio" sound from the orchestra that he had the pit covered over and the conductor wielding his baton under a glass bubble (for the actors to see him) so that the sound could be completely controlled electronically. Evidently his failure to exert total control over the sound dynamic of PROMISES was the reason he never again wrote for the musical theatre."

If my memory is correct, "Promises, Promises" was the first Broadway show ever to have pre-recorded music as well as an orchestra. If I recall, the musician's union fought this tooth and nail. Can anyone confirm?

But is Wildcat far from the mark as to why Burt never wrote another B'way musical? Isn't it an established fact that Burt is a true perfectionist? Personally, I've always felt that Burt was made for Broadway. It's too bad that Broadway wasn't made for him.

"Magruder" wrote: "And regrettably, Jerry Orbach is off-key - actually, he's often flat, rather than sharp. But Bachrach is notoriously difficult to sing. It sounds like lightweight pop, but there are very tricky intervals, key changes and time signature changes throughout. It would be nice if they could use a little modern technology and do a little pitch-correcting to help out the late great Orbach, but I doubt they went to the trouble. "

I have to admit that Jerry does go flat, but only a few times. It is my opinion that, despite that, he sang the score admirably, and I think it's a bit sad to pick a few nits. How dissatisfied with Jerry could Burt have been if he ended up in the part? My guess is that no could be cast without Burt's (and Hal's) approval. And Jerry won a Tony for his role! The show was a true hit -- with the fans AND the critics!

I loved reading everyone's comments there. They all obviously appreciate Burt's (and Hal's) genius! It's good to see.