Not Impressed, Mr Bacharach

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

Not Impressed, Mr Bacharach

Post by nowmedical »

Burt has cancelled his concerts at Costa Mesa in February. I have spent £3000 on flights from the UK, hotels etc. The reason given is "Mr Bacharach couldn't confirm the availability of members of his band".

This is really shabby treatment. You shouldn't take bookings for a concert if you're going to cancel. I won't get any fares back from British Airways.

Orange County's Pacific Symphony and Mr Bacharach, if you're reading this, poor show.
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: Not Impressed, Mr Bacharach

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Wow! That's awful. And I think it's made worse by the lame excuse that is given. Is there anyone in Burt's band (or singers) who can't be replaced in 3 months' time? Of course there isn't, and that's why that excuse is very lame. Now I'm wondering what the real reason for the cancellation is.
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Nowmedical.

Sorry to hear Burt canceled the concert in Costa Mesa in February! More importantly is the 3000 pounds that you put out!
Hopefully you can get most of the money back in a refund!

I think I know where the problem lies. If you check John Pagano’s website you will see that John has one or 2 dates schedule on the same date Burt is to perform!
John is a major person in Burt’s concerts and is not easily replaceable! And if memory serves me right, John had these dates booked well in advance of Burt’s booking!

I know this does not help or solve your setback!

P.S. Just an aside: Wait until Mark who runs the website post’s Burt’s tour schedule.

Just a caring fan.
Take care;

Vincent
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

nowmedical,
I second what Enormous and Vincent have just said.
But the real "downer" is not being able to see Burt perform "live" with a full Symphony Orchestra.
I hope you get a full refund.....and good luck !!!

"blue"
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I hope that at least a portion of your airfare will be credited to a future flight. The hotel will surely not charge you for a stay you couldn`t make.
Nevertheless, this is a screw-up by Bacharach`s people for solidly booking a performance without vetting all of the factors.
In a well-run world (and in your circumstances), they`d do something to help "make it right."
You have, no doubt, noticed that we do not live in a well-run world.
PS: On the up-side, you`ve been spared LA.
Laura

Post by Laura »

I had front row tickets for all three shows in Costa Mesa. The Pacific Symphony refunded the tickets and the ticket fee. And I cancelled my hotel and rental car. However, I still have to deal with my "nonrefundable" airline ticket from Baltimore. I can apply my airfare toward another flight, but I will have to pay a huge change fee.

Laura
Crownsville, Maryland
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I find it very hard to believe that Burt/Burt's people would cancel an entire concert because John can't make it. The show isn't tomorrow -- it's in THREE MONTHS. (I wonder how ticket sales were coming along? I remember when, a number of years ago, one of Burt's concerts was cancelled in Phoenix due to slow ticket sales -- is why I ask.)

Signed,

Enormously Skeptical
heartlight

Post by heartlight »

Now Medical,
I empathize totally and hope you will get some of the airfare back in one form or another...aa replacement trip to the US for another event, maybe ?
I had tickets, too, for that concert sitting with Laura in the front row !

As for slow sale, that was not the problem as I could see it. The seats were filling up each day because I was constantly checking their website as I had heard this rumor. It was quite a gaffe on Burt's people's part because had John known this, he certainly would not have booked his own concert. Obviously, John cannot be replaced !

Waiting until Mark posts the concerts on-line is safer, perhaps, but it has been my experience that by the time the concerts are posted, the good seats have been sold!

Good luck to you and sorry you'll miss the Burt experience.
Barbara