atlanta

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

crazyforburt

atlanta

Post by crazyforburt »

anyone else here going to atlanta?
stevegold

Atlanya

Post by stevegold »

Yes, going to see Burt Saturday night at the Atlanta Symphony! Can't wait - anyone have a clue of his song list or is it random each show? We would love to get a picture with him before or after - any way at all this can be done? Wait for my report after the show!
vincent.cole

Reply: 'Crazy For Burt'

Post by vincent.cole »

:D Bonjour 'Crazy For Burt';

I know you will be going to both shows. I am not going to tell you to enjoy the event, because I know you will!

Don't forget to post on the forum, so all of us can share in your joy! 8)

Take care mon ami.

Vincent
Chris M.

Post by Chris M. »

I will be at the Friday night show. This will be my first time seeing Burt, so I'm very excited!
brillbuild

Atlanta

Post by brillbuild »

We'll be there. Saw Burt last year in Knoxville. This time we are on
main floor - much closer.

stevegold: Mr. Bacharach is very gracious and you might be able to meet him. We did. Often there is a select group of patrons that have invites. But I don't know what the set up will be there.

The song list I imagine will be what he has been doing except I noted on this forum that he has dropped the song from "Grace of My Heart".

It will be good.
brillbuild

Atlanta

Post by brillbuild »

Another night to remember.

The evening was led off by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (ASO) doing MGM movie medleys. The ASO sounded really good on these selections. The Great Escape March and a medley of Henry Mancini songs was performed, oddly leaving out Moon River. They closed doing part of the actual score from John Williams E.T. that really showed the depth of this Grammy-winning orchestra. (After the concert I made a point to view some actual Grammys in the lobby.)

We had 12th row seats down on the main floor, no need to look through a zoom lens to see Burt as we did the year before. The Atlanta Symphony Hall had cameras that showed close ups of the performers. Last year I barely saw the members of Burt’s group – trumpet, sax, singers, etc. but with the video feed, they were shown doing their solo parts. A nice touch. Unfortunately there was a buzzing in the speakers from one of the microphones or some wire. I was the only one in my group to notice it but it was there, especially in those times Burt does those wonderful solos while playing the piano.

I knew the set would be much the same as the last time. And it was. The monologue was the same and the intro exits, etc., etc. God Give Me Strength was taken out and Etta’s (Love) Theme from Butch Cassidy was inserted. John Pagano who sang, GGMS last year did “Any Day Nowâ€￾. He is really, really good. Etta’s Theme was performed with the trumpet of Tom Ehlen and Dennis Wilson on clarinet from Burt’s traveling ensemble. The came out and did it together on center stage. I thought it was a tender moment. Encore was “Windows of the Worldâ€￾ beautifully done as ever and no second encore this year though the crowd clearly enjoyed every note.

Last years orchestra in Knoxville seemed more powerful. Or it could be that it was more of a thrill last year because it was my first concert? However, the strings did sound sumptuous on “Wives and Loversâ€￾. And I love the range of sound from the solo sax to full orchestra on “A House...â€￾
just gives me goose bumps.

Speaking of goose bumps, When Josie James does, “Anyone Who Had a Heartâ€￾, well, after that you could go home and fell completely entertained. That song is worth the price of admission alone. All three of the singers seemed more prominent in this production somehow. Well showcased.

Thank you, Mr. Bacharach.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

That was so great to read, Brillbuild. There's never been a composer like Burt and there never will be. But what amazes me the most is how he could keep the quality so great for decades! Most songwriters these days should be ashamed of themselves, quite frankly, for trying to foist their amateur attempts at songwriting on us.

I keep thinking about something Elvis Costello said on TV: "Burt showed me how it was done."
alvina2758

thanks brillbuild

Post by alvina2758 »

Your description of that evening in Atlanta was wonderful and I thank you. I had planned to be there but it just wasn't good timing, however I feel I was in a small way, thanks to your very descriptive post.
Ok Mark I forgot to login again.....beat me.
vincent.cole

Reply: Brillbuild

Post by vincent.cole »

:D

Bonjour a.k.a. Brillbuild.

I can only assume this will not be your last Burt Concert! Thanks for sharing your joy with us on the forum!

Yes you are right on Target about Joise James!

Donna and John are also Excellent! I can't wait to hear John sing, "Any Day Now"!

All 3 of Burt singers would have had contract in the 60's, 70's and 80's! But the music world has change. A good voice and talent doesn't go far these days! :cry:
Take care;

Vincent