in London

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

Re: in London

Post by blueonblue »

Burt has said it's right up there with "Underneath The Overpass" and "Peggy's In The Pantry"

"blue"
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

I heard BB jokingly refer to 'Three Wheels on my Wagon' as "Wagon Wheels" at the first RFH concert, as I've heard him do before in interviews. It's difficult to overestimate how popular the New Christie Minstrels' recording of the song was on British radio in the mid-60s, particularly on children's request shows. I've always assumed it was a hit single but found out a few years ago that it was 'only' the lead track of a New Christie Minstrels' EP (remember those?) as well as an album track. Apparently the EP got to No.1 in the UK's EP chart in 1965 when these things still existed. I've discovered over the years that people 'of a certain age' in this country nearly always remember this song, so it must have something going for it!
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Watch out Andy Murray !!!
http://floridamemory.com/fpc/prints/pr21475.jpg

New ball's please !
"blue"
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

An Enormous BB Fan wrote:
someonenameddavid wrote:In the first London show Burt mentioned, in passing, "4 wheels on my wagon", which is dear to the heart of people "of a certain age" in Britain who also know the saying: "It's Friday, it's five o'clock, and it's Crackerjack!!!!!... a children's participation game and comedy show that frequently included a claymation version of that song.... I wonder if it is on the net????

David
David, I did a search on the ASCAP site and looked at Burt's database on that site of all the songs he's written. With Bob Hilliard as lyricist, Burt wrote a song entitled "Three Wheels On My Wagon." There was no song listed as "4 Wheels On My Wagon."

"Three Wheels On My Wagon" is on youtube. So, if this is the song that Burt wrote with Bob Hilliard, here it is:

Yes, it was three wheels... but what's one wheel between friends

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Martin Johnson wrote:I heard BB jokingly refer to 'Three Wheels on my Wagon' as "Wagon Wheels" at the first RFH concert, as I've heard him do before in interviews. It's difficult to overestimate how popular the New Christie Minstrels' recording of the song was on British radio in the mid-60s, particularly on children's request shows. I've always assumed it was a hit single but found out a few years ago that it was 'only' the lead track of a New Christie Minstrels' EP (remember those?) as well as an album track. Apparently the EP got to No.1 in the UK's EP chart in 1965 when these things still existed. I've discovered over the years that people 'of a certain age' in this country nearly always remember this song, so it must have something going for it!
...and that 'something' is a memorable melody! I remember hearing it a lot as a child and liking it and have yet to grow to really dislike it, although I realize now it's all very non-PC and perhaps just a teeny bit 'naff'. The New Christy Minstrels version featured the gravel-voiced Barry 'Eve of Destruction' McGuire on lead vocals apparently just a matter of months before he recorded his apocalyptic mega-hit. The strange thing was despite the number of times I heard it on the radio in the 60s I never once heard it credited to Bacharach, something he wouldn't lose any sleep over judging by his mocking attitude to the song. However, I'm sure if the record had been a Top 40 hit in the US he'd be more affectionate towards it, just like he seems to be with 'The Blob'. He might even have played it in London!
pljms

Post by pljms »

When at the Festival Hall Bacharach paid a warm tribute to Bob Hilliard before performing 'Waiting for Charlie to Come Home' saying something along the lines of, "We didn't work much together but I treasure all that we wrote", several song titles immediately flitted through my mind and I have to admit that 'Three Wheels on My Wagon' was one of them! I suppose 'Any Day Now', 'Please Stay' and 'A Tower of Strength' were the best and the most successful of their collaborations.

As for the concert itself, this was my first time seeing Bacharach without an orchestra and what a revelation it was. My feelings on the night were that synthesized strings were a small price to pay for a much longer, more relaxed show with Burt looking very happy and talking a lot more to the audience than before. The two hour running time meant he came a lot closer to doing justice to his vast catologue of great songs and I can think of only three of the really big hits that were missing, 'Twenty-Four Hours From Tulsa', 'Message to Martha' and 'On My Own'. It was also great to hear 'My Little Red Book', 'I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself' and the afore-mentioned 'Waiting for Charlie to Come Home', three songs I've definitely not heard at a Bacharach concert before.
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Does anyone know the name of the male vocalist/keyboard player who sang "My Little Red book"
at the concerts !
Burt introduced him, but I can't quite remember his name ?

"blue"
Toms

Post by Toms »

Bill Contos ??
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

That's him, that's the man !
He was bloody brilliant !

Thanks Toms !
"blue"
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Here's a video of BB's new 2nd keyboardist and MD (Bill Cantos?) performing 'My little Red Book' from one of the recent concerts. It was very interesting hearing Burt during the Festival Hall concerts talking so fondly of his time living in London while scoring the movie 'My Little Red Book' comes from, 'What's New Pussycat'. The house he rented in Wilton Row just off Belgrave Square, the visits to the Grenadier pub, the walks in Hyde Park ("when it wasn't raining") worrying whether he was getting the music right. Hearing the extraordinary title song, 'Here I Am', 'My Little Red Book' and the highly original and melodically inventive instrumental score then and now, he needn't have worried.

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Martin,
Thank you, that was great !

"blue"
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Blue, I checked on the internet and it seems that when Bill Cantos is not out on the road with BB he's an LA based nightclub performer. This is the other number he sang on the recent European tour, 'Hush' from 'Some Lovers'. Also here is a better quality video of Josie James performing 'Every Other Hour' than the one I posted earlier on this thread. Again these would appear to be Smartphone recordings and from the same concert (Tel Aviv?):

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Martin, thank you kindly for posting those two beautiful songs and the info about the superb Bill Cantos.

"blue"
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Two young fella's at work asked me which concert I'd just been to see.
I said Burt Bacharach.....ever heard of him ?
They replied "oh you mean that guy in Austin Powers ?
.............I give up !!!

A very frustrated "blue"
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

I remember, Blue, for a few years after his appearance in the first 'Austin Powers' movie where he sang 'What the World Needs Now' he was referred to as a 'crooner' more than he was a composer in the UK press, even by some of the broadsheets. Apart from getting his name better known I can't see how appearing in those movies really advanced his career.