Your Favorite Burt Bacharach Song

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Ron

Post by Ron »

There are many reasons great songs never reach the charts. The most obvious - they're not released as singles or through lack of promotion by the record companies. While technology is changing much of that with artists releasing their own material on the web - it still requires those of us who appreciate "great stuff" to get out there and seek it out. Support the artists you love and keep abreast of what they're doing.

A departure for Dionne back in the 70's was the release of a high powered non-Bacharach single "I Didn't Mean To Love You" . Her interpretation was so intense that her voice broke on a refrain near the end of the song. It was included in the recording, received a great review in Billboard Magazine, was pulled from release by Warner Brothers (for unknown reasons) and never appeared on a Warner album until Rhino included it as a "fans request" cut on the Rhino "Love Songs" CD released a few years ago. I was fortunate enough to have a copy of the "45" which was barely audible after repeated play.

Another well reviewed non-Bacharach single was the Chuck Jackson / Dionne Warwick single recorded and released in the late 90's - "If I Let Myself Go" Terrific song - terrific performances and most people are totally unaware of it. If I started to address all the BB/HD/DW songs that never achieved the commercial success they deserved - I'd be sitting here for hours!

Once again - stay informed of what your favorite artists are up to and support them before they're relegated to the "Oldies Bin"

Hey Vincent!!! - if you're ever in Southern California - let's get together for a drink or two! I'll bet we could compare notes for hours. I'm in Del Mar (Bacharach stomping grounds) near the race track. I travel quite a bit too for both business and pleasure.

Ron
vincent.cole

Reply: Ron

Post by vincent.cole »

:D Bonjour Ron;

Thanks for the invite! Ditto to you, if you are in the New York Area!!!

Yes, I believe we could talk for hours about BB/DW/HD! I must say, I might not be in the same league with you on a lot of facts about BB/DW/HD! But when it comes to them, I will be like a sponge!

I will be in San Francisco August 14-18, 2005 @ a Computer Conference. But I don’t think I will have time to get down to, Del Mar in Southern California.

Hal David is the only one of the 3 I have never met! Would love to meet and talk with him!

Ron, if you ever want to talk on the phone about BB/DW/HD, send me a email and I will reply with my phone # or I could call you.

P.S. Ron, Are you in the Music Industry?

Take care, "And That's What (BB/DW/HD) Friends Are For"! 8)
Take care;

Vincent
ron

Post by ron »

vincent.cole:

How flattering that you ask me if I'm in the music business! I've often felt that the "great Clive Davis" and I are on the same wavelength; however, I'm not in the industry but may consider it when I "grow up".

I was formerly a registered user on this site - but when I changed my ISP - the site would not allow me to re-register so I now appear as a Guest only. My e-mail address is ronhertel@earthlink.net. Hopefully we can arrange to get together to compare notes either here in southern California or in New York (we have a son living in NYC). We also have place in downtown Chicago which we frequent. Let me know the best way to contact you!
vincent.cole

Reply: Ron

Post by vincent.cole »

:D Bonjour Ron;

I sent you an email with my home phone # etc...

Hope to talk with you real soon!

Take care Ron; 8)

Vincent