reaction to last night's PBS program

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Nicko

Re: reaction to last night's PBS program

Post by Nicko »

Rumer in a Guardian article this week says she spoke with Burt after the White House show about his song "Hasbrook Heights", Burt said "Thats a great song and it should have been a hit", Rumer told him she has become quite obsessed with this song recently so much so that shes going sing it with Dionne Warwick at World Hunger day event at the Royal Albert Hall next week, Won't that be something?
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

[quote="Steve Schenck"]Well, I was disappointed, but probably because I didn't have realistic expectations. The performers were all OK, I think. Probably the best vocal rendition, for me, was Rumer's take on "A House is Not a Home." And Stevie wowed everyone with his harmonica take on "Alfie." But at times I felt like Burt's songs were reduced to Karaoke versions. For music of his depth, an orchestra was really needed; but of course, you can't fit an orchestra into the East Room of the White House, so what can you do... ..... Employ the ever gracious Ms. Eliza James...

Oh the obvious answers....

See you guys in Louisville

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
burtchifan

Post by burtchifan »

I haven't had the chance to see this much-deserved honor bestowed upon Burt and Hal. I have read fellow Burt fans' reaction, and I appreciate it. I just wanted to comment about why Dionne was not at the White House: we have to remember that this was an event honoring Burt and Hal, and NOT Burt, Hal, and Dionne. YES, Dionne took their songs and made them hers, and I am sure that both men will forever and evermore be grateful that thanks to her, they made a fortune. Given that thought, maybe Dionne didn't want to 'steal the spotlight'- MAYBE?? This is just my opnion here, but I don't think Dionne NOT attending was a huge deal. Ok, so she was not at the White House, but think about it, she has been at other Burt/Hal tributes and constantly acknowledges them. I just would love to see a Burt/Dionne tour...
Thank you
Diane Sampson

Rumer

Post by Diane Sampson »

Here is the marvelous Rumer singing "Some Lovers" - Beautiful! There is a very active fan group on Facebook called "Rumer Worldwide Fans". Come join us!
Shemp9971

Post by Shemp9971 »

I loved when Sheryl Crow did that Wayne's World-like "We're Not Worthy" gesture to Burt. I thought that one was amusing.