Burt loves Rumer - Do any of you?!

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Diane Sampson

Burt loves Rumer - Do any of you?!

Post by Diane Sampson »

I have discovered this singer, and she is amazing - A natural for Bacharach songs. Check out "Alfie" on YouTube - Wonderful! Are there any other fans here?
ELOJeff

Re: Burt loves Rumer - Do any of you?!

Post by ELOJeff »

Diane Sampson wrote:I have discovered this singer, and she is amazing - A natural for Bacharach songs. Check out "Alfie" on YouTube - Wonderful! Are there any other fans here?
As a 9 year old kid discovering music, I fell in love with the total musicality of BB.

40 years later and consider myself lucky to find that this enduring quality still exists with an artist like Rumer.
Everything she does is pretty much *perfect*, I guess this is probably my favourite (though it's v. difficult to pick just one...)

Jeff
Diane Sampson

Post by Diane Sampson »

ELOJeff wrote:
Diane Sampson wrote:I have discovered this singer, and she is amazing - A natural for Bacharach songs. Check out "Alfie" on YouTube - Wonderful! Are there any other fans here?
As a 9 year old kid discovering music, I fell in love with the total musicality of BB.

40 years later and consider myself lucky to find that this enduring quality still exists with an artist like Rumer.
Everything she does is pretty much *perfect*, I guess this is probably my favourite (though it's v. difficult to pick just one...)

Jeff
Good to see another fan on here, Jeff. I just LOVE her! I found a Facebook fan group called "Rumer Worldwide Fans" - They have a LOT of great material there!
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Hi Diane, Yes, I am a huge fan of Rumer's! PLEASE check out the YouTube video "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" featuring Rumer and Daryl Hall from "Live From Daryl's House". It's five INCREDIBLE minutes of sheer musical genius! Hoping she and Burt will go into the studio and come out with something great a la "Painted From Memory"!
Diane Sampson

Post by Diane Sampson »

Bruce Bernard Williams wrote:Hi Diane, Yes, I am a huge fan of Rumer's! PLEASE check out the YouTube video "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" featuring Rumer and Daryl Hall from "Live From Daryl's House". It's five INCREDIBLE minutes of sheer musical genius! Hoping she and Burt will go into the studio and come out with something great a la "Painted From Memory"!
I have seen it, and it's great, Bruce. I head up her fan club, so I THINK I've seen everything at least once! She has no gigs scheduled right now, but if you EVER get the chance to see her live, GO! She sounds even better in person, and is a friendly, funny, and down to earth person. In the meantime if you're on Facebook, come join our group - We get all the news first! If not, there is a Rumer Official Website on the 'net.
Hank

Post by Hank »

Hi Diane,

I'm becoming a big fan of Rumer. I recently got her "Boys Don't Cry" album and I've really enjoyed it. "Same Old Tears On a New Background" - need I say more ?

One question - On all the songs I've heard, Rumer is singing in a very controlled fashion - and I'm wondering if (in concert or on songs I may not have heard) she ever gets out of that "comfort zone" ?

I don't mean this as any type of critisism. I can't think of another current voice that I prefer....I guess I'm just greedy for more....
Diane Sampson

Post by Diane Sampson »

Sorry, Hank - I just saw your question now! Is this the kind of thing you're talking about?
David McKee

Post by David McKee »

Rumer's musicianship seems beyond dispute. However -- and this is going to get me into trouble -- her interpretations of John Barry ("We Have All the Time in the World") and BB are so blase as to turn those songs into abstract music. For instance, her White House rendition of "A House is Not a Home" blanched all the emotion from that masterpiece. If Dionne Warwick and Dusty Springfield were emotionally cool BB interpreters, Rumer is downright frigid.
Diane Sampson

Post by Diane Sampson »

David - I don't think anyone here will attack you - Rumer fans are a pretty civilized bunch! ; ) Since you don't like her on Bacharach covers, have you checked out any of her original material? That is where Rumer really shines. "Blackbird" or "Slow" or "Aretha" would be a good place to start. She is a marvelous confessional type of writer - There is a lot of depth in her lyrics.
Toms

Post by Toms »

Dionne Warwick Rumer Duet

Diane Sampson

Post by Diane Sampson »

Nice link, Toms - Thanks! If you're a fan of Rumer's music, come join us at "Rumer Worldwide Fans" on Facebook!
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

It's wonderful that Rumer got Dionne to revisit Hasbrook Heights, probably she had to learn the lyrics all over again. In the 30+ years I've been a DW fan I have never heard her sing that song live. And I hope that Rumer will consider recording this together as a duet for her next album homaging DW the way she has homaged Aretha in the past.

How good is Rumer as a vocalist? I really can't say yet and I also don't particular care. I like her records and she impacts me emotionally and I like her style - and I wouldn't say that about many of her contemporaries...With Adele and Emily Sandé being the most outstanding vocalists in the current crop but Rumer is not far behind them.
Diane Sampson

Post by Diane Sampson »

I love her voice - So warm and intimate with beautiful tone quality. Whether she could do the vocal gymnastics which are so popular these days, I don't know. I wouldn't want her to! I love her conversational style, and she affects me emotionally, too - Like no singer has in the past 30 years.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Diane,
Giving Rumer a listen...she has a delightful voice...I haven't heard her do Burt's stuff yet, but I do like her on her own material!
Diane Sampson

Post by Diane Sampson »

steveo_1965 wrote:Diane,
Giving Rumer a listen...she has a delightful voice...I haven't heard her do Burt's stuff yet, but I do like her on her own material!
Glad to hear it! Check out "Alfie" or "Some Lovers" on YouTube. Then come join our group! (Rumer Worldwide Fans on Facebook)