Dionne Warwick's voice

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

Re: Dionne Warwick's voice

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

That's great that Burt is worth so much. I've wondered about that, too, considering that composers' royalties are much much MUCH less than people would think. In Burt's heyday, it might have been a penny or two a record. So if you sold a million records, the composer would get $10,000, maybe $20,000. Of course, Burt is a very special composer with so many hit songs and, more importantly, so many people doing covers of his songs. Plus, of course, all the concerts he gives. I would imagine that composers of pop songs today (who are not the singers) have a tough time making a decent living. Is this correct? I'm speaking to the fact that record stores are a thing of the past. So many songs are ripped from the internet. The composers get nothing.

Regarding Dionne: It's unbelievable to me that she's only worth $4 million. Considering all her hit records and sold out concerts, FOR 50 YEARS, 'tis a pity.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Yes I too think that $4m seems unbelievably little taking her career and universal profile influence etc How does she even manage the cabs to and from the hundreds of airports in cities she visits all over the world!

In an interview with the Guardian last week she said that she could give up touring if she wanted to but she loved performing and having the intimacy with her audiences but that the downside was the travel. Usually her itinerary, at this time of the year, for the following year, is packed .. right up to the following December. Suddenly she has very little planned ... a concert in Germany and one at Lake Charles in LA for December and then only one concert in January (Key Largo), one in February (Naples) and one in April (Scottsdale AZ).

In the interview when asked what she does for Christmas she said it was always traditionally family and friends and when asked does she do all the catering etc she said yes the guest list amounted to 100 odd people .... obviously no budgetry precautions there then!! How many turkeys is that? I think she has a hidden stash somewhere!!
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

@ Enormous: Here in Germany like in many other countries there is a whole bureaucracy collecting royalties. Every time a song is played on the radio or on TV or in a disco or a supermarket or an elevator that earns royalties for the composer and the lyricist. The income on some very prominent songs from the 50s or 60s amounts to more than 100000 USD per song per year in Germany alone.

And the industry is by no means longer in crisis. Sales through commercial download services like iTunes have been going through the roof for the last 2 or 3 years. For example the average chart-topping single in 2012 sold more copies (including legal downloads) in Germany than at any time since the late 70s. Same is true for the UK where vollumes have been going up dramatically, too.
Mayhew Brandon

Post by Mayhew Brandon »

I saw dionne last night (march 8) at the count Basie theater in red bank, NJ, and I was a bit disappointed.
I had seen her once before, in 2007, and I thought she was excellent -- carried out a full 2+ hour show, great voice, full songs. It was very impressive I thought, especially as she wasn't exactly a spring chicken then.
But last nights performance was substantially diminished versus 5 1/2 years ago. Dionne can still belt out the notes, but whereas at the 2007 show she did it consistently throughout the evening, now she has to pick her spots selectively. For example she did I KNOW I'll NEVer LOVE this was again once or twice , but then other times she had to back off and kind of just do what she had to do to get by.
Also I didn't at all like what she said was the updated version of say a little prayer -- sounded disjointed and weird.
Dionne's granddaughter did a few songs and she was pretty good, her son pitched in as well but I don't think he should quit his day job as they say.
It was an okay performance overall, id rate it 2.5 or maybe 3 stars, but in 2007 it was like 4.5 stars.
I love dionne but unfortunately Father Time catches up to us all, I'm not sure I'd pay money to see her again.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Hello Mayhew ... I found it interesting what you said and of course it's true but I think it's time to let the fabulous lady off the hook! Dionne is 72. I go to her concerts to see an icon and definately not the lady who sang in 1964. The concerts are fabulous so you should just ease into them. Even watching Burt these days (fortunately he doesn't have to sing) can be difficult. Respect!! Despite endless criticism about her voice etc she can still hold a crowd together in the way many contemporaries only dream about.
nikray77

Post by nikray77 »

I am shocked that a few of you really continue to roll out some of this nonsense regarding Dionne's financial situation. Do you really know? Who knows if Dionne is worth 4 million, I have seen stuff that said 24 million. Frankly I don't believe any of those numbers which are media driven. You know Burt is worth 150 million how? I recall not one word from some sources when the media was shocked to know that the IRS stated that they had made a mistake on Dionne's taxes and had sent a letter of apology for the mistakes a letter shown on TMZ. Which is almost unheard of...the sounds of silence.

I have no idea how much Dionne has in her bank accounts or has hidden in Brazil or other accounts off shore. Do you? And a viewing a online website who have no real way of knowing about these things then putting on this site as truth is totally not a responsible thing to be doing. But after reading many of your posts you could careless. Whatever personal issues you have against Dionne I wish you would simply come clean and state them for the world. Because it really looks like you are chasing Dionne down and some have rubber stamped your nonsense I will not. Because this appears personal and nasty...I will await a real reason for your behavior.
David McKee

Post by David McKee »

Although I would gladly go to see Dionne perform, doing so under the rubric of 'seeing an icon perform' makes me a trifle uncomfortable. (Shale-throated Wayne Newton has been dining out on that excuse for over a decade now, IMO.) Could we reframe the discussion around how Dionne sounds, as compared to other singers of her generation today? That might be far more illuminating ... :-)
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Well, sad news, Dionne finally filed for bankruptcy:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... tcy-430880
face

Post by face »

Ugh, I'm so sad for her. I couldn't imagine working as hard as she has for all these years only to end up in this place. If she truly had such bad management, and their advice was the cause of this mess, then I wonder if there is some way that they can be held liable for malpractice. Every dollar would help. Dionne Warwick is no stranger to court, so I wonder if she's ever pursued any action against her former manager(s).

I also find it quite odd that she claims to make only $21K/month (before expenses). That's only $252,000 per year! Compare this amount to the $100K/month she made (according to Bill Elliott's divorce pleadings) nearly 40 years ago at a time when she had no current hits on the radio and probably worked fewer dates than she does today because she was raising her kids, and something seems way off. I always assumed she earned a sizeable fee for each concert because of her iconic status and drawing power that she still enjoys. I don't know anything about bankruptcy proceedings, but I suppose it's not out of the question for people to hide income in order to get a favorable outcome.

Poor Dionne.
nikray77

Post by nikray77 »

I suspect that Dionne is fine and doing this to make sure that the tax issues are done away once and for all under advice from attorneys and accountants. The IRS and tax agencies frankly screw people over penalties and interest it appears no different for Dionne. What is troubling is her attorney's claim that the IRS lost her filings for several years then found them which make sense given the letter the IRS sent Dionne last year of apology. What it appears is she paid her taxes and the at least a million and half more in interest and penalties.... than what was listed the penalties and interest is what the government would not agree to drop. According to what's being shown other than the tax debt she has very little total debt, which is were I really would have been concerned.
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

I am a great fan of Burt Bacharach and his music. He is really good in producing heart touching songs and tunes. Though he is late, he still lives among us with the magic of his songs. I have a collection of his most of his songs in my rack.

Post by Alistair »

[quote="BlueLotus"]I am a great fan of Burt Bacharach and his music....... Though he is late, he still lives among us with the magic of his songs.

No, Burt is still VERY much with us - and still touring! Long may he do so!
Alistair