"Three Wheels on My Wagon"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

"Three Wheels on My Wagon"

Post by Steve Schenck »

I don't recall seeing this posted before, and I had never heard it until I found it on youtube. In case you care to listen, this is a "not-so-great" but historically interesting song by Burt and Bob Hilliard.

David Young

Re: "Three Wheels on My Wagon"

Post by David Young »

Steve,

Burt actually performed this song (piano and vocals) when he appeared on DINAH ( with host Dinah Shore) in 1980.
Dinah asked Burt if there was a song that he wished he hadn`t written!!! and he performed Three Wheels on My Wagon.
The song was originally recorded by Dick van Dyke and the record was produced by Burt-evidently his first production in 1961.

regards,

David.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

The recording on that Youtube video is by the New Christy Minstrels (lead vocalist Barry 'Eve of Destruction' Mcguire). This was a big radio hit in the UK in the mid-60s and also got to No.1 in our EP chart! Bacharach often mentions 'Three Wheels on My Wagon' when it comes to his 'worst' songs, but I personally think he's written many that are a lot less memorable. I know from experience that, fondly or not, people over a certain age in the UK do remember the song.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

The "flip side" of "Three Wheels" composed by Bacharach & Hilliard ???

Cat-astrophic ! (sorry)

"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

lol Blue...and hello to you my friend!
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hello Steveo........great to hear from you !

"blue"
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

Those of us of a certain age who grew up in England will remember that song as part of a "claymation" type movie on our favourite Friday TV kids show (It's Friday, it's five o'clock and it's....) Crackerjack.....

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.