any word on "Gift of the Magi"?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

any word on "Gift of the Magi"?

Post by Steve Schenck »

If I'm not mistaken, in the early winter, Gift of the Magi was to have been in workshop, out in Los Angeles. Does anyone know: did that happen? How did it go? Are they moving ahead with the production or not? I've only heard "Some Lovers" from the score, and found it to be great, in the traditional Burt groove. I look forward to hearing more of it.
scotsgreg

Re: any word on "Gift of the Magi"?

Post by scotsgreg »

The link below offers the last legitimate article I've seen on the show's progress. According to the piece, following the earlier Los Angeles workshops, an additional workshop had been intended for this month with an anticipated late fall opening intended to capitalize on the Christmas theme of the narrative.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/14 ... f-the-Magi
Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

Thanks... I had read that same article but haven't seen any further info. Somewhere along the line, I thought I read that the project had been abandoned and I was hoping someone out west might know more first-hand. Thanks so much for sharing the link to the article.
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Is "Some Lovers" available on a CD single by Rumer or are we gonna have to wait for the cast recording? I would like to find a copy of her Christmas CD which also features the great song "Alfie". As always, anticipation gets to me when I hear about anything new from the Maestro.
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

No fear, THE GIFT OF THE MAGI is still in development, but unfortunately the normal period to bring a musical to fruition can be years rather than months. Word is that the last readings/workshop went well, and hopefully there will be more progress this fall, even as Steven Sater has his hands in other new musical theatre works. Fingers crossed.

"Some Lovers" was indeed released on a single SINGS BACHARACH AT CHRISTMAS, both vinyl and CD, but I'm not sure if it's still available.

Joe
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Ask and ye shall receive!

The newly-titled SOME LOVERS will make its premiere in California at the Old Globe this November:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/15 ... n-2011-12-