Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Post by blueonblue »

Long forgotten Dionne "masterpiece".........brilliant arrangement by Bacharach !!!

"blue"
Roberto Pinardi

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

Great

Bob
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Blue;

Where did you find that gem of Dionne's?

Take care mon ami.

Vincent
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Bonjour Vincent,
I once had this track on a Dionne compilation LP from the seventies which I gave away (sigh) :(
Just stumbled across it on youtube the other day.....last time I heard it was about 35 years ago.
Do any members of the forum please know if this track as ever been issued on CD ???
Your help would be greatly appreciated...

Many thanks,
"blue"
PS
Vincent you're right, it's one of Dionne's true "hidden gems" !!!
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Hi Blue,

that's an easy one...The whole "On Stage and in the Movies" album is available through iTunes etc. as a download.

You also can get it through Collectors Choice on CD:

http://search.ccmusic.com/index?D=dionn ... &N=0&Nty=1

I particularly like Dionne's take on "Summertime".

Cheers from Berlin, Andreas
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Danke Schon Andreas !
I'll certainly be ordering that CD !

"blue"
PS
I absolutely agree with you ....Dionne's rendition of "Summertime" is awesome !!!
pljms

Post by pljms »

I've always loved the B&D song 'Only the Strong, Only the Brave' and Dionne Warwick's recording of it. The breezy arrangement is pure mid-60s Burt and it never fails to lift the spirits every time I hear it. Although I suspect that this might have been posted on the forum before in the dim distant past, here it is again:

Paul
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

I just rediscovered through Youtube "In Love Alone" the 1987 collaboration of Richard Carpenter with Dionne. Richard had written the song for his sister Karan together with John Bettis but unfortunately she never lived to hear it.

I don't know, I once had the '87 Richard Carpenter "comeback" album it came from on vinyl but I didn't think much of it then and it eventually got lost. I think back then I also wasn't totally crazy about Dionne's vocals on the record. It was at that time where her voice started to change again and it was not quite as powerful as it had been just 2 years earlier. I also had a very cheap record player back then and maybe I missed what a nuanced performance it was with beautiful breathing etc. and how much of a homage to Karan it was.

Today I'm just emotionally blown away by it. There is so much in it...

It also leads me to the subject of a long overdue career-spannnig big DW boxset. Maybe we should start a list here of the "lost" records, collaborations we want to be able to hear again. Another song I love and I haven't heard in more than 20 years was "Two Strong Hearts" with Johnny Mathis...

Roberto Pinardi

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

INCREDIBLE ....1977

:mrgreen:

bye

Roberto
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Grazie Roberto,
That was great !!!
I seem to remember Burt performing a rare "extended" version of "Monterey Peninsula" from
the same 1977 Edmonton concert...........it was fantastic !!!

"blue"
Peter Greenhill

Post by Peter Greenhill »

A nice version of 'Do You know the way to San Jose' by Kiki Dee from a 1971 UK TV show

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

A tribute to the late, great John Barry.
He regarded it as the best music he ever composed.
Lyrics by Hal David....

R.I.P Maestro.
"blue"
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Peter Greenhill wrote:A nice version of 'Do You know the way to San Jose' by Kiki Dee from a 1971 UK TV show

Leave it to me to do the nit-picking. She sings "Fame and fortune is a magnet, it can take you far away from home." Magnets pull, they don't take. That's why Hal wrote the lyric to say that "fame and fortune is a magnet, it can pull you far away from home." If you're going to compare "fame" and "fortune" to a magnet, then using "take" makes no sense.

It's like when Engleburt Humperdink sings the following words from "Close To You": "And they sprinkled moon dust in your hair and gold and starlight in your eyes of blue." No one sprinkled gold in anyone's eyes. "Starlight", yes... but not gold. That would be very painful. He should have sung what Hal wrote, which is: "And they sprinkled moon dust in your hair of gold and starlight in your eyes of blue."

In the above 2 cases, both singers repeated the same mistake twice during the singing of the song, so it's not a one-time mistake.

And, of course, I do understand that I may be the one-out-of-a-million who notices these things.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Pure Bacharach..........no one else could have composed it !!!

"blue"
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

A song from the movie "The Love Machine" (1971) composed by Artie Butler and Mark Lindsay.
Almost sounds like Bacharach & David.....

"blue"