The look of love box set

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

amhay

The look of love box set

Post by amhay »

Hi!
First of all, it's great to see there's a forum for Bacharach's fans.
I want to buy the box, but there's too many editions, so I'm a bit confused. As I understand - there's the 75th birthday edition, and the one with 75 songs. If I want to have all the songs i need the both, i think. however, i couldn't find them on amazon. is it oop?

Thanks!
mark
Site Admin

Re: The look of love box set

Post by mark »

Davide Bonori is our resident discography expert and far more qualified to answer this question, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm not sure what country you're in, but first, there was the standard U.S. release The Look of Love: The Burt Bacharach Collection (1998: Rhino R2 75339), which included three discs:

A two-disc version of "The Look of Love: The Burt Bacharach Collection" was issued in the U.K. that included some alternate versions of Bacharach songs, including the Searchers' version of "This Empty Place," Petula Clark's version of "This Girl's In Love With You," and Nancy Wilson's rendition of "Reach Out For Me."

(There also might have also been a Canadian two-disc version, but I can't find a link to that and I can't recall if there are any track variations.)

Finally, there's the 75th Birthday Edition, which appears to add a "free" disc of Dionne Warwick recordings to the U.K. edition.

(In the Amazon link above, I'm taking the track listing from the image of the back of the CD, not from the tracks shown in the Listen To Samples section of the listing, which appears to erroneously show the track listing from the U.S. version.)

It's a little confusing, but I think the original U.S. version is probably the best version to go with. Hope this helps and I invite anybody with a better grasp of the discography to correct me if I'm wrong.