the Wine is Young

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Marcel

the Wine is Young

Post by Marcel »

Found this hidden gem from the Maestro.
Heard it in my younger days several times by Dionne.
But this one captured my heart also.
The haunting sound of BURT and the magical lyrics by HAL.
Brings back the memories of that time.
Songs that should sound like these kind of melody are no longer today

kind regards,

Marcel :D
BachtoBacharach

Re: the Wine is Young

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Beautiful version of one of my favorite Bacharach/David/Warwick recordings!
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I've always loved this song. I'm so happy to see that at least Carla Jones can see the possibilities that this great song presents to a singer. I've always wondered why songs like this from Burt/Hal -- that is, songs that Dionne sang on her albums that were absolutely great but were not hits for Dionne -- were never re-done by other singers. Certain songs are marked by an "era" or a specific "time" -- i.e., the 50's, 60's, etc. "The Wine Is Young", I believe, is eternal and will be a great song at any time. So much of Burt's music is for the ages and I really am thrilled that Carla Jones (whoever she is, because I am not familiar with her) found this great song and recorded it beautifully.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

This song is from a wonderful, 4cd tribute to Burt Bacharach, an import from the UK, "Simply The Songs of burt bacharach". One of a series of, "Simply..." (Simply Jazz, Simply Love, etc.). The cd's were produced and arranged by Chris Ingham, who has done quite a herculean feat of arranging 60(!) Bacharach songs. The featured singers include: Charlie Green, Savannah Love, Jacqui Hicks, Maurice Cannon, Vince Copper and my favorite, Saskia, who does "The Look Of Love", "Don't go Breaking My Hear" and "Trains and Boats and Planes."
The songs adhere quite closely to Burt's arrangements but yet, they work, especially in the context of not well-known singers singing these classics. And, not so classics, songs like "Toledo", "Dream Sweet Dreamer" (also by Carla Jones), "Tears At The Birthday Party" and "Here Where there is Love." Hey, there'e even "The Blob" by the Puddles!
Here's Saskia:
MexicanDivorce

Post by MexicanDivorce »

This song was first my favorite tune when I worked in switzerland St. Moritz, I heard it several times. First I discovered on Dionne´s "Love Song Collection" I like very much the Chorus of the song, when she sings "The wine is young"and then she goes a second time in the chorus with the same melody and other lyrics. An very amazing track, one of the best Bacharach / David / Warwick Songs
Presenting Cissy Houston
vocals on "Mexican Divorce" by Cissy Houston
Peter Greenhill

Post by Peter Greenhill »

One of the very best Bacharach/David songs. Thanks for the link.