stephanie songs that dionne might have done...

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

stephanie songs that dionne might have done...

Post by Steve Schenck »

I've been listening to some of the BB/HD songs they wrote for the Stephanie Mills album, and was considering which of those songs would have been perfect for Dionne. I realize they are two different singers, and I suppose Burt and Hal did try to tailor their work for Stephanie Mills' unique talents; but I can't help hearing Dionne singing, in particular, "I See You for the First Time." Several songs on that album hold a growing interest for me, but that one in particular seems like it would have been well served by Dionne's voice; perhaps, had they not split by that time, they would have recorded it with her.
blueonblue

Re: stephanie songs that dionne might have done...

Post by blueonblue »

Steve, I'd love to hear Dionne cover this fantastic Bacharach / David song one day !

"blue"
maestrofan

Post by maestrofan »

Hopefully there is a recording of this by Ms. Warwick buried in the Warner Brothers Vaults (recorded during her peak years) Maybe it'll appear as a bonus track along with recordings she did with Nick Ashford & Valerie Simpson!. ....... An instrumental version by the maestro would also be nice!
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I believe it has been confirmed here before that those songs were all written for Dionne just before the Lost Horizon fiasco broke. They were to comprise her second Warner`s album but remained unused until - somehow - Mills got a hold of them two or three years later.
Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

You're right, Blue. Dionne would lift that song! So many terrific BB/HD works and, sadly, many of them are still so unknown by so many. To be honest, I tire of hearing "This Guy's in Love" and "What the Word.." and others; not because I think they aren't excellent; it's just that they are SO played and almost the only works that people mention when making reference to Burt and Hal. Meanwhile, they have so many other works that are subtle and exquisite, but that rarely get a good hearing.