Re: You`ve Got It All Wrong...

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I know this was first performed in the early `90s revival. What I`m not sure of is whether it was written for that production or if it was a song cut from the original score or even one from the aborted movie version. Anyone?
Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

I can't answer with certainty, but I believe I read in an article that Burt and Hal composed it (perhaps with Neil Simon's input?) specifically for the mid-90s Enores! revival at City Center, in NY. I never heard of its being a scrapped part of the original score. Such songs have been recorded separately (like: "What Am I Doing Here?" "Tick Tock Goes the Clock" and another one about little girls growing up whose title I forget).
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

That last would be "Let`s Pretend We`re Grown Up". Yeah, I have those and now with "You`ve Got..." I finally burned all this PP stuff (with the original cast recording) to one disc, something I should have done years ago.
Thanks for the info, Steve. I thought it was for that revival but so many songs were strewn around over the years regarding that show, it`s hard to keep them all straight.
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Burt and Hal did write "You've Got It All Wrong" at director Rob Marshall's behest for the 1997 revival.

Other PROMISES songs not in the original score, for the record:

Let's Pretend We're Grown Up (not used; appears on demo)
Tick Tock Goes the Clock (cut out-of-town; appears on demo)
What Am I Doing Here? (not used, replaced with "Knowing When to Leave"; appears on demo)
Hot Food (cut out-of-town)
(Wouldn't That Be) A Stroke of Luck (replaced with a reprise of "Where Can You Take A Girl?"; a fragment of this song still exists prior to that reprise in Act 2 -- it's never been recorded, though)
Loyal, Resourceful and Cooperative (replaced with "Our Little Secret" which retains the "All the other apples..." verse; appears on demo)

In addition, Burt & Hal supposedly wrote two songs around the same time, "Phone Calls" and "In the Right Kind of Light," which have never surfaced and may or may not have been intended for PROMISES.

I suppose an "ultimate edition" of PROMISES would also include "Seconds," written for a proposed film version by Burt and Neil Simon, and "And Then He Walked Through the Door," one of the trio of songs Dionne recorded with Burt for Warner Bros. in 1975 and also thought to have been written by Bacharach & Simon for the PROMISES film. (The two other songs recorded at this session, "Plastic City" and "And Then You Know What He Did" are registered to Burt with Bobby Russell...could the same melody have been set to the Simon lyric?)

Hope this helps, all.

Joe