Kennedy Center Honors

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Toms

Kennedy Center Honors

Post by Toms »

How do we get Burt, Dionne, and Hal into the Kennedy Honors?
Watching the program tonight and looking back at past artists on the show, I can't understand what they are waitng for.
Anyway we can help?
Tom
vincent.cole

Reply: Tom S

Post by vincent.cole »

:D

Bonjour Tom;

I would try and found out how those who are honored are chosen.

Is it a small body of people? Or persons in the Entertainment Industry? Hey, they must be a website. Call and speak to someone about this matter.

One question I might posed to them is, what are the guiding principles to be worthy of this event?!

Tom, you know if it was left up to us members on this forum, Burt, Dionne & Hal would of be bestow this honored years ago!

It’s very sad in this world, that when you add 1 plus 1, it might not equal 2. What I am trying to say is, human nature on more than 1 occasion has guided people’s decisions! And when this happens, logic, doesn’t come in to play!
:cry:
Take care;

Vincent
crazyforburt

kennedy center...alas

Post by crazyforburt »

i have already done the leg work...i have a contact at the kennedy center who has explained to me that it only takes one letter of nomination each year to have someone's name suggested to the annual
board meeting in june. i have nominated burt (in a glowing letter to the chairman of the board) for the last 5 years (burt knows this) to no avail.
there is a commitee of 100 ,made up of leaders in the arts which recommends and votes on the final nominees. hal david serves on this commitee, which if you think about it could go either way...so i have also proposed the teams of burt and hal and the troika of burt, hal, and dionne. they are not the only luminaries to be overlooked. i joked in the last conversation with my contact that it might be nice to have an honoree who is a native born American and not a convicted felon!!
(remember james brown, pavorotti,etc)

i would have suggested a letter writing campaign years ago but was told that it really only takes a single letter and that an organized effort might even backfire. maybe there is someone out there who has some influence with board members or major contributors to the kennedy
center.
Tom s

Kennedy Honors

Post by Tom s »

Hi, Crazy for Burt.... Thanks for your effort.
When will your nomination letter go in for Burt for next year?
Tom
vincent.cole

Reply: "Crazy For Burt"

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour "Crazy For Burt";

Thanks for your effort in this matter!

What I really want to know is, what measuring stick are you judge by?

These 100 people are they all from planet Earth? Sorry to be so sardonic. But where have they been the last 50 years?! Of course this excludes Mr. Hal David!

The troika of Burt, Hal, and Dionne as you stated, should be honored together!

Take care mon ami.

Vincent
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I noticed how they honored Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee (they are a married couple for those who don't know) together... and I thought a) that that was very appropriate and b) that would solve the Hal David question.... in other words, they should honor Burt and Hal in the same way they honored Ossie and Ruby. Then, on the same night, they should have Dionne as another honoree. I think that's the way to do it.

And I couldn't help notice that they honored Elton John but not the man who wrote basically all of the Elton John songs -- Bernie Taupin. Imagine how Bernie must have felt! I mean when you're singing an Elton John song you're really singing Bernie Taupin's words. It really bothers me that the lyricist is treated like they don't exist! That's why, as much as I love Burt's music, I couldn't see him being honored while Hal David is not honored, particularly when most of Burt's songs are Hal's songs as well.