Dionne Warwick(e?) re-issue

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

Dionne Warwick(e?) re-issue

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Does anyone (Administrator?) have any info as to when Rhino Handmade plans to re-issue Dionne`s first Warner`s / last Burt & Hal album?
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Good news!

I forwarded your question to David Nathan, who supervised the previous Dionne reissues in the series. Here's his response:

"We are working on it now and expect to have some kind of release date for it in the next few weeks. You can stay updated on this by subscribing to our mailing list at: http://www.soulmusic.com"

Post by Guest »

GREAT NEWS :D just made my day !!!!

Post by Guest »

What songs are in that album, please?

"Dionne" Album - Warner Bros. 1972

Post by Guest »

Produced by Burt & Hal, Dionne's first album for Warner Bros. in 1972 contained the following songs: I Just Have To Breathe (Bacharach/David), The Balance of Nature (B&D), If You Never Say Goodbye (B&D), Close To You (B&D), My First Night Alone Without You (Kin Vassy), Be Aware (B&D), Love Song (Lesley Duncan), One Less Bell To Answer (B&D), If We Only Have Love (J. Brel), and Hasbrook Heights (B&D). Dionne's last album with the duo, it was engineered by Phil Ramone at A & R Studios in New York. It would be great to see it on CD at last.
Dennis Webb

Dionne Warwick(e) Reissue

Post by Dennis Webb »

As happy as I'll be to see this album reissued because of the HD/BB songs on it, I'll also be very pleased to once again have DW's recording of the Kin Vassy song "My First Day Without You". It was always one of my favorite non-HD/BB songs that DW recorded. I don't know anything about Vassy, but I think this song may have been recorded by quite a few singers--it's just such a great piece. Really excellent lyrics. I have a copy of it by Bonnie Raitt that's also superb. For all those who buy a copy of this new CD, don't just skip over or breeze through this song--it's really a gem and DW's performance of it is among her very best work.
ron

Post by ron »

Dennis:

After reading your post I pulled out my copy of the 1972 album DIONNE. You'e absolutely right - "My First Night Alone Without You" is a great song and Dionne's interpretation is on the mark. It will be even better when remastered minus all the pops and scratches on my over used LP.

Dionne recorded a number of excellent non-Bacharach songs on those 5 Warner Brothers albums. Some of my favorites include "You're Gonna Need Me" by Holland Dozier & Holland, "Since You Stayed Here" by P. Larsen & J Rubins, "Getting In My Way" by Jerry Ragovoy & J. Brackman, and "His House And Me" by Linda Creed & Thom Bell to name a few.
westgate!

I agree!!!!

Post by westgate! »

All the songs you mentioned are wonderful....and Dionne's vocals are just so wonderful. I think something that is lost is how great Dionne has always been at style/genre changes she has this amazing skill to just take on another voice when she sings these songs. If one heard some of these cuts who knew little or nothing of Dionne you believe she was a totally different singer than the person you hear on the majority of her other more well known hits!!

By the way I am sure this has been mentioned before but the singer Usher sampled Dionne's "You' re Gonna Need Me" on the song "Throwback"...actually it sounds pretty good.
ron

Post by ron »

Heard that Usher's Mom is an admiring fan of Dionne Warwick!

Post by Guest »

does anyone have any updated information about the release of these two albums ? are they going to be on one cd or single cd's with bonus tracks. i have all the other Rhino Handmade cd's of Dionne and David Nathan always gives us Dionne at her "remastered" best with great bonus tracks of rare and live performances and his liner notes are always fantastic with loads of rare pics and info about Dionne's recordings

I WISH HE WOULD WRITE A BIOGRAPHY ON DIONNE !!!!!! i know from his Soul Diva's book he started researching for one in the 80's but it never materialised............why?