Dionne's Christmas Album

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Ron

Dionne's Christmas Album

Post by Ron »

Picked up my copy of "My Favorite Time of the Year" heralded as Dionne's first ever Christmas CD. She has recorded a number of Christmas songs and medleys over the years for charitable release and one of my favorite live recordings "Christmas in Vienna" with Placido Domingo. Although there is nothing vocally challenging here, I've enjoyed my first listening. Arrangements and instrumental backing are great. I was particularly impressed with her duet with Gladys Knight on "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" (captures the essence of their individual vocal styles and real life friendship). Interesting gospel like arrangement on "Joy To The World". MORE LATER

Post by Guest »

Any Bacharach song? Christmas Day, for instance?
ron

Post by ron »

Unfortunately not ! In addition to your suggestion - I would have recommended for inclusion the underplayed "bouncy" little number by Burt entitled: "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" It's simple with an unmistakable Bacharach hook!
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

ron wrote:Unfortunately not ! In addition to your suggestion - I would have recommended for inclusion the underplayed "bouncy" little number by Burt entitled: "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" It's simple with an unmistakable Bacharach hook!
And "Christmas Day" (from "Promises, Promises").

Post by Guest »

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
Finally, a first Christmas disc by a grande dame of pop music that's worthy of her vocal prowess. On My Favorite Time of the Year, Dionne Warwick's voice has so much emotional authority that she could sing your shopping list and it would still provide comfort and joy. An endearing stylist working with an astute producer (Tena Rix Clark) sensitive to her strengths, Warwick delivers a dozen standards plus one new song, "I Believe in Christmas," written by and sung with BeBe Winans. Gladys Knight duets with Warwick on "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," and David Koz's sax colors several of the cuts. Fans and first-time listeners alike will fall in love with the Burt Bacharach-like arrangement of "Winter Wonderland" and marvel at the singer's stateliness and down-home charm throughout. Say a little prayer of thanks--Warwick's still got it! --Martin Keller