A VERY SPECIAL EVENING IN SAN DIEGO

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

ron hertel

A VERY SPECIAL EVENING IN SAN DIEGO

Post by ron hertel »

Burt Bacharach made his first appearance following recent back surgery here last night accompanied by the San Diego Symphony Orchestra and his regular team of exceptional musicians and vocalists: David Crigger, Thomas Ehlen, Rob Shrock, David Coy, Dennis Wilson, Josie James, John Pagano and Donna Taylor. Format and repertoire remained pretty much the same as in recent years with a few exceptions. His only reference to his back problem came toward the end of the show when he apologized for not being able to take his usual bow (doctor's orders). Commented on not working for a while (his last concert before being sidelined was in Milan) ...... Expected to hear some reference to the Broadway revival of "Promises Promises"; however the only song from the original production performed was "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" (as part of a medley) A vocal or instrumental version of the title track would have been a great addition to the show. A few of my favorites from past concerts were not included - among them: "On My Own", "Make It Easy On Yourself" and "Are You Falling Out Of Love?" ........ Burt made it through his usual vocals on "Alfie", "Raindrops", Wives And Lovers" (no joking mention of the political correctness of this song) and "A House Is Not A Home" (dedicated to his wife Jane). These are always a very special part of his performances! He had some kind words for the San Diego Symphony Orchestra reminding us that we must continue to support them as we do our major league baseball and football teams.
Perfect weather, an appreciative audience and seamless performances by ALL contributed to A VERY SPECIAL EVENING IN SAN DIEGO ..... may this be the first of many future Bacharach Concerts throughout the country and around the world.
Blair N. Cummings

Re: A VERY SPECIAL EVENING IN SAN DIEGO

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I haven`t seen Burt for a few years, but it seems of at least modest significance that the few compositions from At This Time once in the program have already been dropped from the repertoire.
I wonder if it`sthat the policies of the Bush administration once so abhorrent to Burt have become acceptable now that they`re being carried out by Obama, or if he just realised that the pieces themselves (with the exception of Who Are These People)were pretty boring.
If the latter is the case, why doesn`t he dust off some of the timeless pieces from Woman?
I`m sorry, but I think that at his age and with his unsurpassed artistic accomplishments, Burt could afford (in more ways than one) to do more than a greatest hits set.
Before he retires, I`d love him to say, "You know what? Screw it! I`m gonna play...(insert your most obscure favorites here)."
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Blair N. Cummings wrote:....or if he just realised that the pieces themselves (with the exception of Who Are These People)were pretty boring.
I happen to love listening to the entire "At This Time" CD. I find that entire CD the opposite of boring. Each piece on that CD could only have been composed by someone on Burt's level; i.e., a true master of musical composition. Oh well, you certainly have the right to think it's boring. But I'll bet Burt doesn't think the music is boring.

Do you find "Danger" boring also? I only ask this because I think Burt reached a new high level of extraordinary musical composition with that piece (vs. songwriting). I believe that "At This Time" was a total success for Burt because Rob Stringer, the head of the record company, told Burt that he could compose what he wanted without the need to worry about producing any "hits". Burt talks about this. It is my feeling that Burt artistically stretched himself with those compositions, and I still enjoy very much the music contained in "At This Time".

I'm just so thrilled for Burt that he's back in the saddle again (so to speak). Can you imagine having that talent to give to audiences and not being able to do so? And it's my guess (and has been for many decades) that Burt is one of the most driven men ever! Which is great for us, of course. I think of so many songwriters who simply stopped writing music. Burt, thank god, just keeps on going, leaving all those other songwriters totally in the dust.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

An Enormous BB Fan:
Could not agree with you more. ..... Politics aside - "At This Time" is one of my favorites along with so much of the obscure material that Blair alluded to. ..... Like Blair - I would love to attend a Burt or Dionne concert comprised of this obscure material - known only to those of us who are die hard followers. ..... Unfortunately most concert attendees are casual fans who would be disappointed in any repertoire that did not focus on the "big hits". ........ Consequently the performance I saw last night was almost the same as the one you last saw a few years ago Blair and the one I see every year! ..... Still love to see him perform!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Thanks for the reports on the San Diego concert. Did Burt conduct, or did Rob?
Steveo
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Ron;

Thanks very much on your report about the concert!

This give hope for Burt in 2011 for additional tour dates!

Ron, did Josie James do her killer, 'Anyone Who Had A Heart?'

Take care mon ami!

Vincent
Susan Vincent

Post by Susan Vincent »

Sounds like it was great.. Would of loved to have been there... San Diego.. As Vincent said, hope this is just the start to many more concerts to come.... :D
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Burt conducted ...... and ....... "Anyone Who Had A Heart" remains part of the repertoire!
HOPE SOME ADDITIONAL CONCERT DATES ARE ANNOUNCED SOON!
burtchifan

Post by burtchifan »

Can I just ask one simple question? And this is just an observation:
How many people at Burt's age are doing half as much as Burt is? I mean 'At This Time' was released when Burt was in his 70's! The man is constantly writing, performing (aside from the back surgery)! I am 37 right now, but boy, do I wish to have that energy when, and if, I get to be his age.

Let's see what the Maestro has done since the 50's:
50's, Marlene Dietrich conductor. First songs written. (Maybe in the 40's, huh?)
60's, well everyone know what happened in the 60's!!! Simply put: great songs ever written by any duo, except MaCartney/Lennon (hope I don't get in trouble for putting Mac's name first.. he he he)
In the 70's, not so much, although I happen to like the 'Woman' and 'Futures' albums, oh, and the 'Live' album. Ok, ok, I'll admit it: I like 'Lost Horizon' (where's the official dvd?????)
80's, many don't like the tunes he co-wrote this decade, maybe because they weren't 'Walk On By' et al, but 'On My Own', 'Arthurs Theme' and others are really good.
90's, Burt's 'rediscovered'. 'One Amazing Night' WOW! 'Painted From Memory' WOW! Appearances in 3 movies about an 'International Man of Mystery'.. yeah, baby, yeah!
00's, 'At This Time' goes back to what de does best.. writing great melodies. Not to mention 'Live at the Sydney Opera House'; as a person who loves live music, this one is just outstanding!
10's: Revival of 'Promises, Promises'... BURT STILL PERFORMING LIVE!!!