Promises Promises 2CD set from Kritzerland

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Peter Greenhill

Promises Promises 2CD set from Kritzerland

Post by Peter Greenhill »

nymusicalsguy

Re: Promises Promises 2CD set from Kritzerland

Post by nymusicalsguy »

See http://theseconddisc.wordpress.com/2010 ... d-remixed/ for my article on this release, and some thoughtful comments. I would encourage ordering soon, as Kritzerland's 1000-copy pressings usually sell out early.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone here on the Forum thinks of this project, which is clearly a labor of love for longtime Bacharach fan Bruce Kimmel. Now if only he could maneuver around the legal wrangling to get a release of the London cast recording (which unfortunately he has said is an impossibility.)

Joe
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

I snoozed and I losed. The Kritzerland website says it's sold out. :(
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Mark, I believe screenarchives.com and footlight.com both still have copies available at retail price. I have no connection this release, but I have to give it my highest recommendation; to anyone familiar with the album, it's like hearing it for the very first time. For those interested, I'll link to a review shortly and I hope that everybody here who wants a copy is able to find one.

Joe
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Please see The Second Disc's review at:

http://theseconddisc.wordpress.com/2010 ... recording/
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Thanks, Joe, but I tried the Kritzerland site again and, strangely, the sold out message was gone. Needless to say, I bought a copy on the spot. I'll probably eventually pick up the revival cast recording, but I've gotta say listening to the online audio samples of Sean Hayes just made me realize how much I enjoyed Jerry Orbach and the entire original cast recording. I can't wait to hear the original mix and the new mix.

So, Promises fans, if you want a copy of the deluxe reissue, go to http://www.kritzerland.com/promises.htm and get one while they last!
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Kritzerland managed to get rights to issue a second 1000 of this release! Get one while they are still available - well worth it.
Alistair
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

The new pressing from Kritzerland is only of the second disc of the PROMISES release, i.e. the brand-new mix. The original LP mix was only available in the first pressing. So everybody, make sure to read very carefully when placing your order so there's no disappointment. That said, I'm really glad they're making this new mix available again, even if only for another 1000 copies; I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with it!
Bill Minnick

Post by Bill Minnick »

Joe, thank you so much for the information on the "two-fer" reissue of the 1968 cast recording. I was fortunate enough to snag a copy and am thoroughly enjoying it. With respect to the 2010 production, do you have any updates on whether the show continues to do well at the box office? Also, I was wondering if you knew the contract terms of Hayes and Chenoweth, as to how long they'll be onboard. Lastly, assuming that the show continues on after Sean and Kristin leave it, has there be any speculation as to who may take their places?

Thanks again for the great information and all the invaluable contributions you make to this forum.

Bill
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Based on this site:

http://broadwayworld.com/grosses.cfm?so ... derby=desc

I would say that Promises, Promises is doing extraordinary well! Based on the attendance percentage, Promises, Promises has the 5th best record. Last week, it was filled to 93.7% capacity -- which is just terrific. And the week before, it was filled to 93.2%. It was only beaten by Fences (which has only a limited run and stars Denzel Washington and is above capacity [standing room only] every night -- which is expected with such a big movie star), Wicked, The Lion King, and Billy Elliott. So "Promises, Promises" is truly a smash hit!

I don't know when Sean and Kristin will leave, but I do believe that they are very important to the show's success.
Rio

Post by Rio »

Bill Minnick

Post by Bill Minnick »

Thanks for the box office info, Enormous. Just to be clear, I'm not anxious to see either star leave the show. It was merely curiosity on my part as to who might take on the roles next should Sean and Kristin move on. I saw the show in early May and was blown away by their performances, and unlike a lot of critics, by the entire production as well. Long live the Promises, Promises revival! :D
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Thanks, Bill. I'm thrilled that PROMISES is, indeed, doing extraordinarily well despite some of the poorest (and in my opinion, most unfair) reviews of the season. It continues to gross over $1m a week, which is no small feat in today's Broadway economy. The real test shall come after the stars leave; Kristin is already schedule to depart in late September to resume her television, film & concert work. I'm certain the producers are well underway on a search for her replacement, so let's all hope that their choice is both appropriate and appropriately starry to continue selling tickets. I believe Sean is contracted through early next year. I, too, was bowled over with his terrific performance, and it's been a tough choice lately going back-and-forth between the new cast recording and Bruce Kimmel's spruced-up edition of the old one. In any event, bravo to this new PROMISES. While I don't agree with every choice the director made, the revival still, on the whole, makes the case for the integrity of Neil Simon's book and that amazing, electric Bacharach/David score. At the end of the day, that's more than enough in my book.

Joe