What if BURT were british

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Marcel

What if BURT were british

Post by Marcel »

What would the succes of BURT if he was British?
the answer is : very succesful!
Why?
Because, he strikes enormous on very differnt continents all over Europe and beyond.
In the past that artists like Dusty, Cliff or Cilla performed his songs other artists in Europe also would picket up his catalogue.
Not that is was a mistake in the past but his outstanding way of writing songs were at that time (and still) unique.
But there is a difference of the lyrics then.
He never would had have a brilliant co-writer in the persons of Hal, Carole or Tonio K.
But then again he also worked with Elvis Costello in the past en even that was a great event or met other people like Tim Rice (also worked with Burt!
This is just a thought.
But what does the other great BURT fans thinking of it?

Kind Regards Marcel :D
steveo_1965

Re: What if BURT were british

Post by steveo_1965 »

Well,
In the swingin' sixites, Burt dug the British scene, and actually went over there quite a bit..
even recording some of his albums and tv specials there...so yes, I think he would still
have been just as popular no matter what side of the pond his domicile was.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

While on this "WHAT IF" topic.

I'm not sure that Cilla, Dusty, Cliff and Elvis Costello could have brought him as far as Hal & Dionne have. There likely would have been no "Promises Promises" and remember that the British inspired Alfie was not a major hit until its 53rd recording by Dionne. On the other hand - there would have likely been no "Lost Horizon" to throw him off his creative track and certainly his marriages would have had an impact - particularly in the case of Carole Bayer Sager!
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

He'd be "Sir Burt Bacharach" by now ! :)

"blue"
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Blue;

I want to segue into your comment, rise Sir Bacharach! 8)

Take care mom ami.

Vincent
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Bonjour Vincent,
...arise Sir Bacharach..........I like that ! :D

Take care mon ami,
"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Well, of course, Burt has received at least one honorary doctorate degree, maybe more...
one from Berklee...(did I spellthat right?) so he could be called Dr. Bacharach,
although I dont think Burt would like that...not sure.

Steveo
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

And, of course, the title for knighthood would be Sir Burt.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

The ship is sailing "across the pond" with other key members of Sir Burt's successful team including "Sir Hal", "Dame Dionne", "Sir B.J.", "Dame Jackie", "Sir Gene", our Moderator "Sir Mark" and many others who have enhanced Burt's accomplishments. We Bacharach fans would be as devoted - if not more so - than Beatle fans here in the states!
pljms

Post by pljms »

This rather pointless topic has so far ignored one obvious conclusion: If BB had been born British there would have been no Burt Bacharach as we know and love him, for the obvious reason that his music is very urban American with its roots in be-bop jazz and RnB. If he'd been born in 1920's London his influences would have been so different, although the chances are he would still have discovered Ravel and Debussy. I really like to think he might have produced music closer in spirit to John Barry, born in the north of England in the '30s, than say Andrew Lloyd Webber, born in 1940's London. Brrrr. Is it me or has it gone all cold in here?
Last edited by pljms on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

british pop, or at least what is known in the world as Bristish pop, is a very re-interpretation of American music, call it R&B, rock and roll, Motown, etc. and Bacharach was there before British pop revolutionized the world (which is around 1964-65). Bacharach's tradition is that of the american songwriters (Porter, Rodgers & Hammerstein, etc.) + Brasilian bossa nova + other classical influences. On the other hand, I don't think his music was very much influenced by Britain's pop music (maybe I am wrong) while his music was very successful in England in the 60s...