Is That A Wrong Note in "Bond Street?"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

dwp425

Is That A Wrong Note in "Bond Street?"

Post by dwp425 »

I've always wondered if the classic Bacharach recording of "Bond Street" has a missed note in the trumpet section. There is a point in the song when the trumpets are playing by themselves, two groups of four short stacatto notes in the upper range. In the second four-note group, it sounds like one of the trumpet players misses the third note. I can't imagine that Burt would have let that go. Was that intentional or is it a mistake?
steveo_1965

Re: Is That A Wrong Note in "Bond Street?"

Post by steveo_1965 »

Many times because of the "great" feel" of a recorded take, little concessions are made...
and mistakes left in...
Im not sure which passage in Bond Street you are reffering to.. but I know there are some fast trumpet passages in there...very difficult to play (16th's in cut time?)...it's entirely possible Burt liked the overall effect of the the take, and decided to let it go...There are many instances of this, including Beach Boys, and Beatles.
A wrong note can be heard in Mel Carter's "Hold Me Thrill Me"...Nick Decaro arranger,
but the dissonance is not excessive...It occurs betweeen the word "me" and "be sensible" I believe its a wood wind, versus a lower string part..
The feel of the record and take is magnificent, even so.
Recording time is very expensive, and of the essence, so if it is something that is thought of
as minor it may be passed along.

Just some of my thoughts.

Steveo