Promises `63

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

Promises `63

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I noticed the other day that the poster outside the theater described "PP" as set in "Manhattan in the `60s!"
Well, there were the sixties `60s (in which the original musical was set), and the fifties `60s (in which "The Apartment" was set). Since the current production seems hell-bent on reconfiguring itself to cash in on "Mad Men" and its ambience, why not scrap the original score altogether and just stuff a bunch of Barry Mann/Cindy Weill songs into it? Or Carole King/ Gerry Goffin material? "Will You Still Love Me Torrow?"
Please! They should have left the f%^&*# thing alone!
kyleburke

Re: Promises `63

Post by kyleburke »

I generally loathe any attempt at time shifting for Broadway shows, but can at least respect a concept, however misguided it may be. This instance, however, is no concept - it is simply asinine. Promises, Promises is not strictly topical, but is a product of a VERY specific time, and the tumultuous '60s easily contains at least three separate eras. To pretend that 1968 is interchangeable with 1962 shows a remarkable lack of insight, and is a compromise not worth the ticket proceeds of the half dozen "Mad Men" fans who are going to get the connection.
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

I totally agree with you, Kyle -- as I wrote in my "review," I think the shift to 1962 is utterly pointless (and driven totally by the Mad Men connection.) But the NY critical reaction proves that more than a few people get the Mad Men connection -- almost everybody did, and will, if they see the production. (The ad campaign, ironically, DOESN'T get the connection across, with its pink & orange color scheme!!)

Don't let this clumsily-enacted change detract you from seeing the show; it still has plenty to offer. But had Ashford & co. trusted the material, it would still be set in 1968, and the reviews would have been much stronger. Ah, well...
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

I totally agree about the time change to 1962...1968 was fab! Even more so than 1962 and such a totally different era. I was alive during both times but grew up in the late 60s and 1968 was a very special year for me...the last of my youth. I have so many fond memories of that time. It was a time like no other; vibrant, alive, in flux, and unique and Bacharach/David and their muse Warwick were at the peak of their careers. Warwick and Bacharach were a fixture on television and on the Hot 100. I hate to say that I believe the time change has not been good for the production. I'm surprized they haven't found a way to add "Do You Know the Way to San Jose" to the production. I am hoping for the best but the reviews are mixed...let's hope the audiences are kinder.