If you're in Denver

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

If you're in Denver

Post by Guest »

Drink of the Week
Sidecar
BY NANCY LEVINE
feedback@westword.com

303-607-9000
Where: Harry's at the Magnolia Hotel, 818 17th Street

Printer friendly version of this story
Email Nancy Levine
More stories by Nancy Levine
Send a letter to the editor

Cafe
The Shlock of the New
War is hell. Cafe Bisque proves that.

Bite Me
Bite Me
The Write Stuff

Drunk of the Week
Drunk of the Week
Lazy Dog Sports Bar & Grill

Yeah, baby, yeah! Maybe it's because I grew up in a house where there was always some groovy Burt Bacharach hit on the record player, but I love anything from the '60s. So when I walked into Harry's Bar at the Magnolia Hotel, I fell instantly in love. This place looks like Dr. Evil put it in a deep-freeze forty years ago and then brought it to Denver by time machine to fight the malevolence of minimalist black-and-white bars. It's only missing one retro standard: cigarette smoke, since Harry's is smoke-free. As a result, you have no problem seeing the shagadelic decor, which is as irresistible as catnip and features every possible shade of orange. The diverse crowd of drinkers is colorful, too: To quote Austin Powers, International Man of Mystery, this joint "puts the grrr in swinger." As does my favorite classic '60s cocktail, the Sidecar ($7), made with Korbel Brandy, Cointreau and sour mix. For an even sweeter memory of simpler times, there's the Chocolate-Covered Cherry Martini ($8), a mélange of Effen Black Cherry Vodka, Godiva liqueur and a splash of cream. Harry's nefarious scheme of global domination includes a daily happy hour from 4 to 7 p.m. (5 to 7 p.m. on Sundays), with live music on Wednesdays and Thursdays. If you've lost it, this just might be the spot to find your mojo.

westword.com | originally published: October 21, 2004