Reach out album 1967

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

reach-out

Reach out album 1967

Post by reach-out »

hello folks

I'm writing a monograph on the reach out album and I do need some help, please

I'd like to know who are the musicians playing on it since on the album they are not mentioned

For instance who is playing the sax, trumpet and so forth

I guess the Hammond is played by Burt as the piano

Thanks for helping
Martyn

Re: Reach out album 1967

Post by Martyn »

This is a very difficult task that you've set yourself. The problem being that Burt's early A&M album liner notes say little or nothing about the identity of the session musicians or backing vocalists.

There are some very knowledgeable people who contribute posts to this forum, so they may read your enquiry and be able to help.

You may also like to read the booklet notes of 'The Look of Love' box set which makes mention of some of the musicians Burt worked with when he was recording with the likes of Dionne Warwick in the mid-to-late sixties. Chances are they were also the musicians he used when he came to record for A&M.

I hope this has been of some help.

Regards,
Martyn.
reach-out

Post by reach-out »

Thanks Martyn...yes, I know it is a big challenge to track down the musicians involved in the sessions...
well, I am just realizing it now but for me it would be very important to get some name since I am trying to write a deep analysis on each songs in that album

I sent emails to Michael Brocken and Robin Platts to see if they can help!

Meanwhile I hope people in this forum can sparks some light!

Unless Burt did everything by himself you never know the man is a genius
gabba

Post by gabba »

the hammond player on "reach out" is played by the late Paul Griffin.bye Gabba
reach-out

Post by reach-out »

gabba wrote:the hammond player on "reach out" is played by the late Paul Griffin.bye Gabba
great :D thanks gabba
it's a start ...

I found this on the net:

Just some of the studio musicians who contributed to the Brill Building sound:
Arrangers, conductors: Alan Lober, Teacho Wiltshire, Artie Butler, Gary Sherman
Bass: Wendell Marshall, Russ Savakus, Russ Saunders, Joey Macho, Jr., Chuck Rainey, George Duvivier, Milt Hinton
Drums: Gary Chester, Buddy Saltzman, Sticks Evans,
Guitar: Al Gorgoni, Carl Lynch, Bill Suyker, Charles Macy, Everett Barksdale, Bucky Pizzarelli, Art Ryerson, Al Caiola, Trade Martin, Don Arnone, Tony Mottola, Bob Bushnell, Al Casamenti, Billy Butler, George Barnes, Allan Hanlon, Vinnie Bell, Eddie Ims.
Percussion: George Devens, Phill Kraus, Nick Rodriguez, Martin Grupp
Piano: Ernie Hayes, Paul Griffin, Hank Jones
Saxophone: Artie Kaplan, Frank Haywood Henry, Phil Bodner, Romeo Penque
Trombone: Urbie Green, Frank Saracco, Jimmy Cleveland,
Trumpet: Irwin "Marky" Markowitz, Ernie Royal, Jimmy Nottingham, Jimmy Sadler

Paul Grifin is quoted
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

I've always wondered who the female vocalist was on the title track to this album. She's the one who sings: "don't you worry......", "you just have to.........", and "I'll be there and........" etc.

In fact it would be nice to know who all the session vocalists were but, again, I suspect any available info will relate to a general discussion on the backing singers Burt liked to use for his recordings.

Martyn.
reach-out

Post by reach-out »

Martyn wrote:I've always wondered who the female vocalist was on the title track to this album. She's the one who sings: "don't you worry......", "you just have to.........", and "I'll be there and........" etc.

In fact it would be nice to know who all the session vocalists were but, again, I suspect any available info will relate to a general discussion on the backing singers Burt liked to use for his recordings.

Martyn.
I agree...for instance I just discovered that Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones were session men for his first album Hit Maker 1965

for reach out would be interesting to track down the brass section: who is playing sax trombone and that trumpet??
gabba

Post by gabba »

i would dare to say that one of the ladies singin' is Valerie Simpson.....and one of the the fiddlers is the glorious Harry Lookofsky,concertmaster i think...if my memory support me... bye Gabba
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Valerie Simpson sang backup on several Warwick/Bacharach recordings including Do You Know the Way to San Jose, As Long As There's An Apple Tree and I believe Walking Backwards Down the Road and ISALP. There are so many hidden gems in the Bacharach/David catalog (except to us longtime fans). David Nathan, that Warwick box set is overdue!
reach-out

Post by reach-out »

Herb Alpert: maybe he is the trumpet player...it's the first album for A&M Records
he might have played in the album for "free"

what about?
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Hi,
Chiming in from the west coast of usa here.....You had a great idea in listing some of the musicians who played on the brill building sound...but those guys are mostly from new york.
When Burt recorded on the west coast,(such as A&M?)I dont think he used those people...
with the exception of a few "key" players(if any)
You would do well to try and find out who he was using in concert on the west coast around the late 60's...too bad the musicians union doesnt publish a book of who is on what each year...
I don't think Herb Alpert would have been on the "reach out" sessions....I wish I knew the name of the specific trumpet player(I used to talk with him, but never asked his name) that Burt used... he was fairly young then, and combed his hair down in the front....and can be seen in the 1973? canadian concert that was filmed and released on DVD...playing lead trumpet..he can also be seen on clips of the Capitol Recrods-Ron isley session.(a bit older, naturally, but still looking more or less the same)
he would be one of the guys who would have more than likely played the trumpet/flugel solos on the Reach Out album.
Guitarists may have included Herb Ellis....Bill Pitman on Bass or Guitar(he was part of the
Spector wrecking crew)Remember, at that time Burt was using the concept of a Fender Bass Player AND a Stand up BAss...(this concept was later dropped, as well as the harp, euphonium, and other "exotic" instruments.Since Burt admired Spector, he would sometimes use part of the wrecking crew for rhythm section...
The string players would have been from the local 47 afm in Hollywood(if indeed this album was cut at A&M)
SIngers would have probably been the session singers Burt typically used...although, to me, when I see or hear his english group of 3 singers that were on some of his early British specials(The Breakaways"? or some such name, the solo vocal on Reach Out sounds like that Dark Haired Girl who replicated it on one of the tv specials.
ANother possible, but tedious way, is to get the names of some of these musicans who oftern have websites, and they sometimes list the albums they played on...Just some thoughts....
and a "shot in the dark"...
Steveo
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Further thoughts.

Doing a little research on the web, I was reading the A&M discography...I noticed that
the "Reach Out" album was released in both mono and stereo, but in the fall of 1968, according to the article, all future A&M albums were put out only in stereo...so Im guessing that MAke IT Easy ON Yourself was only released in the Stereo format, since it came out in 1969...

YOu might contact some of the poeple at Rudy's A&M corner...on the web.They run a forum over there. Lots of collectors and people with knowledge about the A&M releases..one of them may have info on the Reach Out sessions...post an inquiry...
Best,
Steveo
gabba

Post by gabba »

Dear SteveO,
maybe the trumpet player you're talking about is Warren Luening????
i don't think in 1967 was there ,but could be possible if you're telling me you talked with him.
He had kind of a funny hair cut in fact!!!
bye Gabba
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Gabba,
yeah, its probably Warren Leuning we're talking about...probably him...I know he was there by the time of Butch Cassidy...for sure by 1970....As you know, Gabba, Burt was bi-coastal,
and by the time of the later 60's I think he was renting a house in Beverly Hills with Angie...
but he still kept his aprtment in Manhattan..so he was back and forth....utilizing musicans on their respective coasts.

Steveo
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Dominic Spera is mentioned on the 'Really Good Music' site as having played first trumpet for Burt from 1966 to 1974. But that might only have been for live performances. There's no specific mention of recording session work.

Martyn.