Help!!! Information about "Raindrops..." for my co

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Larsy

Help!!! Information about "Raindrops..." for my co

Post by Larsy »

Hi everybody!

I'm Larsy and I study Languages in Brazil. This semester I have to present a college work which is related to the analysis of the song "Raindrops keep fallin on my head". I´ve seen the movie "Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid", because I was told this song was written specially for this movie, but I would appreciate to have someone's help to do it! I thought about writing him a letter, but if he receives it, he may not answer it in time. It must be ready till October. What he meant by saying: "And just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed Nothing seems to fit". Is there a logical relation between "feet" and "fit"? Was this lyric inspired in B. Cassidy? Sundance? Both? Why was it played in the bike scene (in the movie)? What did he mean by that?
Well I have lots of questions to make, but first of all I need to know if there will be someone who can help me.

I would be grateful to receive an answer soon

Yours,

Larsy
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Hello Larsy,

You're lucky to have such an interesting topic for a paper - I hope you enjoy working on it. I had the impression from your post that you thought Burt Bacharach had written the lyrics. They are Hal David's lyrics - Bacharach wrote the brilliant music. I hope that helps you.

On a more conjectural note: I assume the "feet are too big for his bed" lyric refers, simply, to the discomfort and restlessness of a person who is too tall to fit in his bed - his feet hang out the end. But I have also always associated it in my mind with a children's rhyme (English or American?): "It's raining, it's pouring, / The old man is snoring. / He went to bed and he bumped his head / And he couldn't get up till the morning." It's also about rain and physical discomfort - they are metaphors for emotional or existential discomfort. Luckily, in the David lyric, the protagonist chooses not to be weighed down by melancholy.

Enjoy the music!
Elizabeth
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Elizabeth wrote:.l....Luckily, in the David lyric, the protagonist chooses not to be weighed down by melancholy.
"... those blues they send to meet me, won't defeat me... It won't be long 'til happiness steps up to greet me."

I love those lines and it perfectly describes what you said. I think that song is one of Hal's (and Burt's) most brilliant. In fact, it's one of my favorite songs of all time. And it's a perfect marriage of music and lyric, as well.

And I happen to love Ron & Burt's new version of it as well.
robinson

procrustean bed

Post by robinson »

The line could be an allusion to the mythical Procrustean bed. See http://www.mythweb.com/encyc/entries/procrustes.html

Post by Guest »

Larsy,
I think the person who is behind the words is Hal David, Burt's songwriting
partner.
You refer to "feet are too big for his bed"...in this song, I think the character
just feels like a "misfit"....that's all, but he's still gonna keep on trying - no matter what.
Regarding the scene where the song "Raindrops" plays (a bike riding scene...) I don't think there is any special significance...it was just a good place to feature the "main" song, and of course the audience cements the composition and the characters together in their mind during this time.
Our characters Butch and Sundance had a rough life, and even though this was true, they still had moments of "joy" and "bliss."

Post by Guest »

It seems relevant to mention that the title of the song was Burt's. He simply used to play those chords while saying those words, and Hal said he just couldn't find his way out of using those same words. So although it wasn't raining etc, Hal tried to make... things fit... nevertheless.

Post by Guest »

speaking of raindrops, may i say how much i enjoy the guitarists
voicings placed in relationship to b.j.'s vocal notes?a superb ear, that
guitar player had...if guided by burt a bit!